Upton U10s lose big lead to draw at Bulldogs

Upton's Jensen Boyle tries to evade capture.
Upton's Jensen Boyle tries to evade capture.

Upton ARLFC under 10s squandered an 18-point lead to draw a dramatic game 42-42 away at Dearne Valley Bulldogs.

Upton led by 12 points at the interval but allowed their hosts back into the game in the second period and conceded three tries without reply to let their lead disappear.

Having seen their five-match winning streak ended by Garforth last time out, Upton were determined to get back to winning ways, and raced into a 12-0 lead thanks to tries from Max White and Tyler Raikes.

After the Bulldogs had pulled one back, Upton added two more tries either side of a second Bulldogs effort, Spencer Hatfield and Brandon Slater crossing the whitewash as Upton looked comfortable at half-time.

The second half was much more even affair, but Bradley Allsopp crossed early to extend Upton’s lead.

The visitors added further tries from Hatfield and White as the Bulldogs tried to fight back, and led by three tries going into the final period of the game.

However, the boys sat back, allowing Dearne Valley to dominate and the hosts took no prisoners as they ran in three tries to claim an unlikely draw.

Upton under 15s fared little better as they lost to Featherstone Lions in their last league game until September.

In a fierce derby clash, Upton were looking to replicate the form they showed in the reverse fixture at Featherstone, but ultimately went down to a more disciplined Lions side.

The turning point of the match was the sending off of Upton’s influential playmaker, without whom they struggled to get the ball wide.

Jordan Taylor scored the home side’s only try, with Dan Priestley converting, but Upton were second-best throughout and will now turn their attentions to next month’s cup final.

Upton under eights found the winning formula as they bagged a convincing win over Milford Marlins.

The boys had worked hard on improving their defence and it showed as they kept Milford away from the tryline with some great work early on.

Kendall Howcroft opened the scoring after showing some good pace, before Kristopher Edwards added a second for his side.

Milford replied before half-time but Howcroft doubled his tally to give Upton a solid lead at the break.

With Upton’s defence rock solid in the second period, they secured the win as Howcroft completed his hattrick and Edwards bagged his second of the game.

Harry Monaghan took Top Tackler for Upton, while Most Improved Player was awarded to Lewis Arnold, Jaden Male and Harley Gibbs.

Upton ARLFC under 14s put in a performance of the highest quality last weekend as they secured a comfortable 30-4 win at home to East Leeds.

Lewis Marley opened the scoring after muscling his way past four players, with Jack Swain crossing late in the half to give the hosts a 12-0 lead going in to the break.

There was no mercy from Upton in the second period, as the hosts ran in another three tries to complete a dominant win.

Ben Crawford crossed early on, before Kieran Pilbeam added the fourth with a stunning individual effort from half-way.

Crawford crossed again to complete the rout, with Tommy Owen nailing all five of his conversion attempts as Upton dominated the match against a beleaguered East Leeds.