Tigers roar to six-try win against derby rivals Wildcats

editorial image

CASTLEFORD Tigers continued their Super League revival with their second win in five days by trouncing derby rivals Wakefield Wildcats 34-16 in Friday's match at Rapid Solicitors Stadium.

Leading 18-10 at half-time, the Tigers scored 16 unaswered points in the second-half to build a match-winning 34-10 advantage before Wakefield completed the scoring with Kyle Wood's converted try three minutes from time.

Richard Owens (pictured) scored Castleford's first two tries and Brett Ferres, Steve Snitch, Grant Millington and Oliver Holmes also crossed for the Tigers. Kirk Dixon kicked five goals.

Stand-off Rangi Chase was again in dominant mood as the Tigers built on their morale-boosting success over Hull KR.

Chase was involved in all but one of Castleford's six tries.

The Wildcats, who drafted Kyle Trout into the side in place of Danny Kirman, who had pulled up in training with a calf strain, forced the first opportunity when second row Ali Lauitiiti broke from his own half, kicking through for winger Ben Cockayne when the cover closed in.

Castleford survived that scare and, after loose forward Jake Emmitt had been hauled down by Wildcats full-back Richie Mathers, took the lead in the 11th minute when Chase sent full-back Owen through a huge gap from five metres out.

Dixon added the extras but Wakefield hit back when Cockayne raced 50 metres and, from the territory gained, the ball was swept wide for stand-off Isaac John to feed centre Paul Sykes, whose reverse pass gave winger Peter Fox the chance to race over from 30 metres.

Sykes was unable to add the extras, and the Tigers hit back with two tries in three minutes to establish a 14 point lead with only five minutes of the first half remaining.

Owen claimed the first, scorching in at the corner from a Chase pass, and substitute Millington then crashed in off a short ball by prop Nathan Massey.

In-form kicker Dixon added both goals, but the Wildcats ensured that the contest remained alive at the half-time hooter when Sykes zipped over from short range and added the conversion to reduce the deficit to eight points.

Castleford hit back within seven minutes of the resumption, a smart ball by Chase putting Ferres through a gap and second rower Snitch popping up on the centre's inside to romp in from 10 metres.

Dixon maintained his 100% record with the boot and, in tackling Smith over the Wildcats goal-line shortly afterwards, set up a spell of three forced drop-outs in quick succession.

That set the scene for Ferres to pounce on a Chase kick in the 64th minute - Dixon being wide of the mark for the first time with his conversion attempt.

Second rower Holmes was next over the whitewash, courtesy of Chase's timely pass, Dixon closing his side's account with the goal.

Wakefield had the last word with a breakaway try by substitute Wood which Sykes converted, but there was no doubting Castleford's superiority.