Tigers bounce back to put Vikings to sword

editorial image

NICK Youngquest bagged a hat-trick of tries and Daryl Clark (pictured) scored twice as Castleford Tigers ended a three-match losing run by beating Super League's bottom team Widnes Vikings 36-12 at Probiz Coliseum on Monday.

The Tigers were the better side in a scrappy game as they inflicted Widnes's sixth straight defeat.

Castleford were only 10-8 up at half-time but they cut loose in the second-half.

The Vikings, who had conceded 262 points in their last five matches, soon showed signs of indiscipline, with the penalty count racking up early on.

They fell behind when Brett Ferres crssed after Richie Owen was held up over the line.

Widnes, with their first real opportunity, levelled when Joe Mellor's short kick to the right was pouched by Paddy Flynn, who outjumped opposite number Youngquest to touch down, with Hanbury scoring the conversion.

Both sides had chances but Castleford slowly started to take the initiative and only a tremendous last-gasp tackle prevented Josh Griffin from scoring after Danny Orr had made the breakaway.

The ball was quickly passed to Clark on the left and although he crossed, the video referee ruled there had been a double movement.

Clark would not be denied a second time, however, and exploited a gap in the Widnes defence from dummy half for his side's second try.

Orr added the extras to give the Tigers a 10-6 lead but Widnes scrum-half Rhys Hanbury kicked a penalty on the stroke of half-time to narrow the gap to just two points.

A rather scrappy start to the second half ensued, with both sides guilty of committing several handling errors in key areas.

However, Thompson extended Castleford's lead by spinning away from two Widnes defenders before scampering over from 30 metres.

Widnes' situation was worsened when Hanbury's grubber fell to Ferres and he passed to Youngquest, who sprinted the length of the field to touch down, with Craig Huby adding the extras after Orr had left the field due to a back injury.

Youngquest added his second from Ferres' high cut-out pass and registered his hat-trick on the left to give Castleford a 30-8 lead as the Vikings threatened to completely capitulate.

Clark then added his second of the afternoon, bursting over unchallenged, and Griffin added the conversion before Marsh ended Widnes' woeful second half with a flourish after crossing on the right.