Super sub Wootton rescues a point for Frickley Athletic at Marine

editorial image

Super sub Jamie Wootton rescued a valuable point for Frickley Athletic with a 90th-minute equaliser at promotion-chasing Marine on Saturday.

The hosts looked home and dry with a two-goal lead going into the final five minutes but Jimmy Ghaichem pulled a goal back for the Blues before Wootton grabbed a dramatic leveller for Karl Rose’s men.

The point moved Frickley thirteen points above the Evo-Stik Premier Division relegation zone and stretched their unbeaten run to five matches.

It followed a first away league win of the season last time on their travels and the visitors started well across the Pennines, with Danny Walsh rifling a 25-yard shot just wide.

Matty Bloor, who went off injured in the 36th minute, headed a Ghaichem corner across the face of the Marine goal in the 19th minute and Callum Howe just failed to connect as the visitors proved more than a match for their high-flying hosts early on.

Marine’s first threat on the Blues goal came three minutes later when Alan Burton fired off target.

But the Blues were handed a golden opportunity to open the scoring shortly after when the returning Gavin Allott was brought down inside the box. Frickley’s top-scorer stepped-up to take the effort but hit the post and Marine were let off the hook.

Instead, the hosts took the lead just before half-time through Will Jones.

Rose’s men kept looking for the breakthrough in the second half and Chris Wood saw his header well saved by Marine goalkeeper Ryan McMahon ten minutes after the restart before Jason Yates fired a first-time shot wide.

There was a worry for Frickley on the hour mark when Allott was forced off through injury, James Burgess coming on in his place.

The hosts continued to threaten at the other end and, after Burton saw a header diverted over the bar, they doubled their tally with 15 minutes to go when Jones thumped home a penalty after being felled in the box by Callum Howe.

It looked enough to give the hosts all three points but the Blues ensured a nervous ending when Ghaichem headed a Luke Jeffs free-kick in to reduce the arrears with five minutes to go.

And in the final minute a Ghaichem corner kick was stabbed home from close range by Wootton to give the Blues a point.

Marine: Ryan McMahon, Robbie Lawton, John Shaw, Matty Brown, Danny Grannon, Alan Burton, Stephen Johnson (Michael Ordish 83), Jonathan Goulding, Will Jones, Nick Rogan (Liam Rice 78), Shaun Doherty (Matty Devine 62). Unused subs: Phil Ojapah, Callum Williams.

Frickley: Jamie Green, Joe Wilcox, Chris Fisher, Danny Walsh, Gareth Clayton, Callum Howe, Jason Yates, Matty Bloor (Luke Jeffs 36), Chris Wood (Jamie Wootton 75), Gavin Allott (James Burgess 60), Jimmy Ghaichem. Unused sub: Lee Stratford.

Referee: Barry Cropp.

Attendance: 275.