Strong defence pleases Castleford boss Millward

editorial image

CASTLEFORD coach Ian Millward (pictured) was pleased with his side's defensive effort in Monday's 36-12 home win over Widnes Vikings.

The Tigers were only 10-8 up at the break but finished the stronger side to convincingly end a three-match losing run.

"Defensively we were very strong today in regard to we didn't look like conceding tries," said Millward.

"The first try they scored was from a kick and then they scored a second with a couple of seconds to go."

Millward believed the Tigers could have made life easier for themselves against Super League's bottom team.

"It was sort of a weird game," he added.

"Richie Owen got held up four times and we probably got held up a lot of times in the first half.

"Our kicking game was really poor which didn't give us a chance to get some field positions and build a bit of pressure and get some continuity.

"I thought at times our attack in the first half lacked a bit of patience and it wasn't fluent.

"But that's what happens when you've had a couple of losses in a row - you lack a little bit of confidence."

Skipper Danny Orr was substituted in the second half after being clattered in the back by Widnes prop Ben Cross, who was attempting to latch on to Rhys Hanbury's kick.

With stand-off Rangi Chase still suspended, Millward is desperate to get scrum-half Orr back onto the field and hopes the fact Castleford are not in action next week will play into his hands.

"With Rangi out, it's pretty important we get him back on the field.

"If we'd have played next week, I'd say he'd be out but give us the following week, I think it might give us the possibility."

Widnes coach Denis Betts paid tribute to Castleford but admitted the Vikings' collapse in the final 20 minutes of the match was particularly disappointing as they suffered their sixth straight defeat.

"I think that paints a picture of our year so far," he said.

"Little patches of competing and working hard for each other and then just a little fracturing and breaking too easily.

"They were just willing to stick in the tough stuff a little bit longer.

"Even at about 60 minutes, if we could have got on the scoreboard earlier it might have changed our mindset a little bit."