Ryhill Hammers bow out of cup with Wakefield City defeat

editorial image
Share this article

RYHILL Hammers missed out on a place in the final of the Talbot and Falcon Cup after crashing out 22-10 at Wakefield City in the semi-final on Saturday.

The hosts, top of the Pennine League Sixth Division, were always in control of the contest and led 22-6 at half-time.

Adam Salter scored the visitors’ try and Rob Culshaw tagged on the conversion.

Only one try followed in the second half, with Andy Nicholls scoring in the corner for Ryhill but it was not enough to mount a comeback as City held out for victory.

Both sides had to contend with testing conditions but City adapted better than Hammers to book a final date with either Westgate Wolves or Upton.

Ryhill will return to First Division on Saturday when they host West Bowling A.

A mass brawl forced the abandonment of Upton’s Wakefield Cup semi-final match at Westgate.

The higher-division hosts were leading 12-8 before the game turned ugly.

Early sin-binnings for both teams had the game simmering as Upton, who ply their trade a division below Wolves in the Pennine League, took an early lead.

Defences had the upper hand early on but, with the Quarry Lane side pushing, Westgate gave away three successive penalties and had a player sin-binned.

It allowed Upton to take the lead with a successful penalty.

Wolves hit back and on 18 minutes poor Upton defence allowed the Wolves scrum-half to dart over the line for the opening try of the match, which was successfully converted.

Upton, flying high in the First Division, were keen to produce a cup shock and, after regaining the ball straight from kick-off, battled back ahead when scrum-half Sam Parkin avoided two attempted tackles to score by the posts.

The visitors were dealt a blow shortly after, however, when Alan Thomson was controversially sent to the sin-bin.

It allowed Wolves back in and they scored a converted try to lead 12-8.

They were to be the last points of the match as the referee called a premature halt as fighting broke out. The match will be rearranged in due course.

In the meantime Upton return to Pennine League First Division action on Saturday when they visit Brighouse (kick-odd 2pm).

See this week’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express for all the latest sports news from around the area.