Four star Eden leads way in Castleford stroll at Leigh

Four-try Greg Eden with Luke Gale.
Four-try Greg Eden with Luke Gale.

Greg Eden took his tally to 13 tries in his last four matches as Castleford Tigers eased to a 38-0 victory away to Leigh Centurions.

After successive hat-tricks in the previous three matches the Tigers winger went one better, scoring his four in a 16-minute spell either side of half-time after it was initially looking to be developing into a challenging game for the leaders.

Along the way he equalled the Castleford Super League tries in a game record and came close to two more touchdowns.

The Cas defence also delighted head coach Daryl Powell as they came up with their second points shut out in away games this season.

Surprisingly it took 14 minutes for the first score as both sides looked to need to shake off a bit of stiffness in the second game of the weekend.

Atelea Vea thought he had opened the scoring for Leigh when he crashed over, but under a great tackle by Mike McMeeken he was turned on his back and lost the ball trying to ground it.

It was Cas who did score first when Michael Shenton found Jesse Sene-Lefao in space on the left wing and the big forward kicked ahead. Luke Gale collected the ball and his offload allowed the following up Sene-Lefao to score a great try that was converted by Gale.

A second score almost followed when Eden knocked-on trying to take in a difficult long pass by Gale with the line looking open.

But the travelling fans did not have long to wait for their second try as Sene-Lefao crashed over from close range off Paul McShane’s pass.

Leigh came close to replying as Eloi Pelissier dived over from close range, but he was denied a try by video referee Robert Hicks as he was deemed to have run into team-mate Antoni Maria, who was ruled to have prevented Sene-Lefao from making a tackle.

At the other end, Zak Hardaker was held up over the line, but Leigh’s relief was only temporary.

They were hit with a try blitz with Eden scoring a hat-trick in a magical five-minute spell.

First, he went over in the corner from Shenton’s pass after earlier in the play Gale had the ball knocked out of his hands by Ben Reynolds and Sene-Lefao’s offload kept the attack going.

Then it was Gale’s pass that was well taken in by Eden before he raced over for another exciting score.

Eden’s quickfire hat-trick was completed just before the half-time when he finished off a long range move involving Junior Moors, Gale and Shenton.

Gale’s fourth goal made it 28-0 at half-time.

Leigh aimed to hit back after the break, but Maria was held up over the line.

The hosts then went down to 12 men for 10 minutes when their player on loan from the Tigers, Ben Crooks, was sin-binned for a dangerous tackle that led to a knee injury for Matt Cook.

Within a minute Cas had more points as Eden crossed for his fourth try following a great set up by Shenton.

They had some defending to do and did it well when Jamie Acton was prevented from getting over the line by a superb tackle from Jake Webster.

Gale was held up over the line at the other end before a seventh try followed with Webster charging over on a smart angled run off a clever inside pass by Ben Roberts. With Gale’s goal going in off the posts it was 38-0.

The game was obviously all over and it became flat and mistake ridden for much of the remainder, although the Tigers showed great determination in defence, holding up both Cory Paterson and Danny Tickle over the line in quick succession.

The very last play summed up how much Cas wanted their “nil” as McShane put his body on the line to deny Sam Hopkins.

Scorers - Castleford: Tries Sene-Lefao 2, Eden 4, Webster; goals Gale 5.

Leigh Centurions: McNally; Dawson, Crooks, Fleming, Brown; Reynolds, Drinkwater; Burr, Hood, Acton, Vea, Stewart, Paterson. Subs: Pelissier, Tickle, Maria, Hopkins.

Castleford Tigers: Hardaker; Minikin, Webster, Shenton, Eden; Roberts, Gale; Massey, McShane, Millington, Sene-Lefao, McMeeken, Milner. Subs: Larroyer, Moors, Cook, T Holmes.

Referee: Chris Kendall.

Half-time: 0-28.

Attendance: 5,905.