Featherstone’s winning run ends as London gain revenge

John Davies scored a first-half try in Featherstone's defeat at London on Monday. Picture: Carol Austerberry.
John Davies scored a first-half try in Featherstone's defeat at London on Monday. Picture: Carol Austerberry.

Featherstone Rovers missed a chance to climb into the Kingstone Press Championship top-four when their six-match winning run ended with Monday’s 20-12 defeat at London Broncos.

Former Featherstone centre Ben Hellewell grabbed two tries and another ex-Rovers centre Alex Foster also scored as the Broncos avenged their recent Challenge Cup fourth round defeat against Featherstone at West Ealing.

Rovers led 12-4 at half-time but London came out on top with three tries in the last 13 minutes after the visitors were handicapped by injuries including the loss of Kyle Briggs.

Featherstone went ahead after 10 minutes when Leeds Rhinos’ dual-registered prop Jordan Baldwinson plunged over.

They doubled their lead six minutes later when second-rower John Davies gathered a grubber kick to score.

Rovers then came under pressure after conceding a string of penalties that saw referee Jack Smith issue them with a team warning.

It led to Featherstone centre Brad Tagg being sin-binned in the 22nd minute.

The Broncos capitalised on the extra man two minutes later when Hellewell put in winger Rhys Williams at the corner.

However, Rovers finished the half on top.

Stand-off Danny Craven, signed on a season-long loan from Widnes Vikings, darted over from close-range two minutes before half-time to increase their lead to eight points, with Briggs missing his third conversion.

Former Rovers player Jack Bussey had an effort ruled out for offside in the 52nd minute as London tried to turn the game round.

The Broncos eventually found a way through in the 67th minute when Hellewell went in for his first try that Scott Leatherbarrow goaled to cut the gap to two points.

London struck again four minutes later when Foster put in a kick on the fifth tackle and Iliess Macani hacked the ball on for Foster to score and Leatherbarrow again converted.

Broncos sealed victory five minutes from time with Hellewell’s second.

Both teams finished with 12 men after Foster and Featherstone’s Ian Hardman were sin-binned after a 78th minute flare-up.

London Broncos: Kear; Williams, Hellewell, Foster, Macani; Barthau, Leatherbarrow; Slyney, Cunningham, Battye, Harrison, Garside, Davis. Subs: Ackers, Bussey, Ioane, Offerdahl.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Johnson, Tagg, Taulapapa, Turner; Briggs, Craven; Roche, Ellis, Baldwinson, Cording, Davies, Spears. Subs: Ormondroyd, Day, Bostock, Griffin.

Referee: Jack Smith (Wigan).