Eleven-man Rovers too good for strugglers Dewsbury in incident-packed clash

Luke Briscoe scored two first-half tries for Rovers and was then sent off seven minutes from time.
Luke Briscoe scored two first-half tries for Rovers and was then sent off seven minutes from time.

ELEVEN-man Featherstone Rovers bounced back from a 34-26 home defeat against Toulouse Olympique by winning 38-6 in Sunday’s incident-packed clash at Championship strugglers Dewsbury Rams.

Featherstone’s Richard Moore was dismissed after a 25th minute flare up involving Dewsbury’s Jason Crookes and Dan Igbinedion who were both sin-binned.

Rovers winger Luke Briscoe, who scored two first-half tries, was sent off seven minutes from time for a challenge on Crookes.

Dewsbury’s Paul Sykes and Gareth Potts were also yellow carded in separate second-half incidents.

Veteran prop Moore is already facing a ban at this Tuesday’s RFL disciplinary hearing after being charged with punching in the 79th minute of the defeat against Toulouse, an offence for which he was sin-binned.

Rovers were far too good for the Rams who slipped deeper into relegation trouble with a seventh successive league defeat.

Cory Aston scored a try and landed nine goals from nine kicks for the visitors.

Dewsbury, with assistant coaches Jonathan Schofield and Karl Pryce in charge after parting company with head coach Glenn Morrison, took a surprise fifth minute lead when Jack Teanby barged his way over from close range and Sykes converted.

Rovers levelled in the 16th minute when Anthony Thackeray hoisted a high kick and the ball struck the crossbar and bounced into the hands of Ian Hardman who put in Briscoe.

Featherstone went close again when Jordan Baldwinson was held up over the line and Jason Walton was foiled by Josh Gudzek’s try-saving tackle.

Shortly after Moore was given his marching orders and Crookes and Igbinedion were yellow carded, Rovers went ahead when Ash Handley broke clear and put in Hardman for a try that was converted by Aston who then kicked a penalty to make it 14-6.

Rovers, with a 9-3 first-half penalty count in their favour, struck again when Walton created the opening for Briscoe’s second touchdown and Aston added a touchline goal and kicked another penalty to make it 22-6 at the break.

Their dominance continued in the second-half when Handley’s break paved the way for Matty Wildie to cross.

Dewsbury’s Michael Sio was held up over the try line as Featherstone survived a spell of Rams pressure.

Aston then made it 30-6 by landing his seventh goal with a 52nd minute penalty before Dewsbury’s Sykes was sin-binned for dissent.

Potts became the fourth Rams player to be sent to the bin in the 61st minute for a shoulder charge on Chris Ulugia.

Aston was on target for the eighth time with a 68th minute penalty to put the game beyond Dewsbury’s reach before Briscoe was shown a red card.

Featherstone completed the scoring two minnutes from time when Handley put in Aston who added the conversion to take his personal tally to 22 points.

Dewsbury Rams: Guzdek; Potts, Sykes, Crookes, Morton; Aaron Brown, Kain; Douglas, Ward, Teanby, Ollett, Walshaw, Annakin. Subs: Sio, Igbinedion, Stringer, Barnes.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Briscoe, Walton, Ulugia, Handley; Thackeray, Aston; Bostock, Carlile, Baldwinson, Lockwood, Davies, Walters. Subs: Moore, Wildie, Griffin, Cooper.

Referee: Brandon Robinson.