Bostock injury mars Featherstone’s 11-try win

Remy Marginet scored two tries in Featherstone's 54-14 win. Picture: Bob Nunn.
Remy Marginet scored two tries in Featherstone's 54-14 win. Picture: Bob Nunn.

Featherstone Rovers climbed to fourth in the Championship by beating bottom team Doncaster 54-14 at Big Fellas Stadium on Friday night.

But their 11-try win came at a cost because Rovers lost Andy Bostock five minutes before half-time with a suspected broken arm.

Rovers also had to bring off Remy Marginet and Jack Bussey after they suffered knocks.

Jordan Baldwinson sustained a recurrence of an ankle injury in the closing stages but it was not thought to be serious.

Ian Hardman, Remy Marginet, Jy Hitchcox and Paul Sykes each bagged two tries in a patch display by Rovers who blew hot and cold.

Sykes had an off-night with his kicking, landing only five conversions.

Doncaster took a surprise ninth minute lead when captain Kyle Kesik went over from acting half close to the line and Dave Scott converted.

Rovers levelled when Andy Ellis sent in Hardman and they quickly struck again when Will Sharp’s superb break saw Hardman score his second.

Featherstone shot further ahead when Bussey snatched the ball in a one-on-one tackle to pave the way for Hardman to send in Sykes.

Former Australia Test player Reni Maitua’s clever pass then sent to Thomas Minns racing 55 yards to score before Rovers suffered a setback when they lost Bostock.

They ended the half firmly on top with a 24-6 lead when French international Marginet finished a delightful move involving Maitua, Minns and Jy Hitchcox who lobbed the final pass.

Doncaster started the second-half like they had the first when Ben Musolino and Liam Welham linked to send in Peter Fox to cut the deficit to 14 points but Rovers regained control when Marginet and Will Milner made the opening for Jamie Cording to cross, Hitchcox scored from Gareth Moore’s pass and Marginet grabbed his second after Matt James made a storming run.

Sykes and Hitchcox scored their second tries and Moore also went over before Kesik collected his second touchdown for Doncaster.

Featherstone Rovers: Hardman; Sharp, Sykes, Minns, Hitchcox; Milner, Moore; Baldwinson, Ellis, James, Cording, Maitua, Spears. Subs: Marginet, Bostock, Bussey, Foster.

Doncaster: Scott; Hodson, Cowling, Welham, Fox; Wilkinson, Mennell; Spiers, Kesik, Clark, Hadley, Musolino, Emmett. Subs: Nicklas, Carbutt, Waller, Gilbey.

Referee: Chris Leatherbarrow.

Attendance: 1,624.