Lady Luck deserts Frickley Athletic at Buxton

Frickley athletic new kit New club badge
Frickley athletic new kit New club badge
Share this article

LADY Luck again spurned Frickley Athletic in the Evo-Stik Premier Division as they returned from Buxton empty handed after suffering a 1-0 defeat.

The Blues started well with Terry Barwick moviong forward in the fourth minute and picking out Gavin Allott, who beat the goalkeeper from 15 yards but saw the ball zip just over the bar.

A shot on the turn by Luke Hinsley was held at the second attempt by home stopper Ian Deakin before Buxton responded a minute later, Mark Reed heading wide from 12 yards after stealing in unmarked.

Allott provided a pinpoint cross in the 22nd minute, only for Jimmy Ghaichem to head straight at Deakin, while former Frickley striker Lee Morris had a looping header drop just over the bar after meeting a cross from the right four minutes later.

The Bucks came on strongly with Morris putting a 25-yard drive just wide of the right hand post before they snatched the lead in the 43rd minute.

A deep free-kick was headed back across goal and Michael Towey forced the ball in from close range for what turned out to be the decisive goal.

Matty Bloor saw his 20-yard drive deflected to Hinsley in the 48th minute and his goalbound shot was stopped by quick reactions from Deakin, and a run down the left by Ghaichem five minutes later led to him finding Allott, whose shot on the turn was blocked on the line.

New signing Chris Howarth replaced Jason Yates after 57 minutes as Frickley maintained their momentum, Ghaichem playing a free-kick square to Barwick who shaved the bar with a 25-yard blockbuster after 63 minutes.

Allott found Hinsley on the edge of the penalty area in the 74th minute, but his shot went over the target, and Tom Woodhead had to be alert at the other end dealing well with an angled shot from Kieran Lugston.

Frickley provided a strong finish but without success. Ghaichem saw a curling 25-yard free-kick pushed off the line by Deakin in the 88th minute and appeals for a penalty when a cross by Howarth was seemingly handled two minutes later fell on deaf ears, with Howarth then having a shot blocked on the line in stoppage time.

Buxton: Ian Deakin, Grant Black, Kevin Sandwith, Neil Stevens, David Haggerty, Marc Roberts, Kallum Keane (Kieran Lugston 55), Michael Tovey, Mark Reed, Lee Morris, Anthony Griffiths Jr (Scott Maxfield 46). Unused sub, Sam Duncum.

Frickley: Tom Woodhead, Terry Barwick, Dave Buck, Jake Picton, Luke Danville, Danny Stimpson, Jason Yates (Chris Howarth 67), Matty Bloor, Luke Hinsley (Chris Wood 77), Gavin Allott, Jimmy Ghaichem. Unused subs: Luke Jeffs, Reece Fennell, Zak Levers.

Referee: Mr Mark Aspley.

Attendance: 243.

See this week’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express for all the latest sports news from around the area.