Iron prove too strong for Frickley Athletic

FRIENDLY OUTING: Jimmy Ghaichem, pictured in action against Doncaster Rovers, featured in Frickley's friendly clash with Scunthorpe.
FRIENDLY OUTING: Jimmy Ghaichem, pictured in action against Doncaster Rovers, featured in Frickley's friendly clash with Scunthorpe.

Scunthorpe United eventually proved too strong for Frickley Athletic on Tuesday night as the Blues went down 4-1 at Westfield Lane in their second pre-season friendly of the summer.

Joe Fox levelled a Deon Burton opener to see Karl Rose’s men go into half-time on level terms, but the Iron upped their gear in the second half to run out convincing winners.

The match was still a good exercise for Rose and his men, who locked horns with plenty of household Football League names including former Sheffield Wednesday man Burton and former Hull City striker Craig Fagan, both of whom are on trial at Glanford Park.

For Frickley, it was another chance for Rose to put his side through their paces and take a look at a few more players as he continues to build his squad for the forthcoming Evo-Stik Premier League season.

Former Blues defender Russ Wilcox, assistant manager to Brian Laws at Scunthorpe, was placed in charge of the visitors and it was a family affair with his son, Joe, in the Frickley back four.

The hosts started well and carved out the first chance to open the scoring when Korey Dyer-Stewart was put clear just outside the penalty box in the fifth minute but he snatched at a low shot and it swerved wide of the left hand post.

There was no mistake by Scunthorpe four minutes later, however, when a cross from the right saw an unmarked Deon Burton power in a header from ten yards to see the visitors score with their first real attack.

It lifted United and Blues goalkeeper Tom Woodhead went full stretch to turn a rising drive from Curtis Bateson around a post, and the Frickley keeper repeated the feat to deny the same player again after 25 minutes.

The persistence of Gavin Allott produced a Frickley equaliser a minute later. Last season’s top scorer beat three men before knocking in a low cross for Fox to strike home from six yards.

Both sides made three changes at the break and it was the Ironmen who regained the advantage just two minutes after the restart. Craig Beattie put over a ball which Sam Winnal headed down and past Woodhead before firing into the back of the net from an acute angle despite appeals from the Frickley stopper for handball.

Bateson rattled an upright for United before Hakeeb Adulakin slotted in their third goal after 58 minutes.

Beattie was foiled by a quick reaction from Woodhead to his deft flick in the 75th minute, but made no mistake a minute later, rounding the keeper and stroking the ball into an empty net to complete the scoring.

Frickley’s changes had robbed them of both rhythm and pattern, although Sean O’Reilly drilled an angled 30-yard drive across the face of goal in the 79th minute, and then tested James Severn with a strong shot six minutes later.

Frickley: Woodhead, Gardner (Yates 46), Wilcox, Picton (Hinsley 57), Gray, Griffiths (Barnett 46), Ghaichem (Redfearn 57), Bloor, Dyer-Stewart (Oniama 57), Allott (O’Reilly 68), Fox (Villerman 46).

Scunthorpe: Severn, Ribeiro, Grayson (Sutton 46), Hogg (Winnal 46), Howe (Wootton 76), Waterfall, Bateson (Hare 79), Hornsey (Beresford 6), Fagan, Burton (Beattie 46), Adulakin.

Referee: Mr Luke Watson.

Attendance: 197.