Hemsworth crash out of Yorkshire Silver Trophy with Thornensians defeat

TOUCH DOWN: Rob Taylor scored for Hemsworth in their Trophy tussle against Thornensians
TOUCH DOWN: Rob Taylor scored for Hemsworth in their Trophy tussle against Thornensians
Share this article

Hemsworth crashed out of the Yorkshire Silver Trophy at the first round stage on Saturday when they went down to a 24-17 home defeat against Yorkshire Division 3 rivals Thornensians.

The match was Hemsworth’s first competitive game of the season and, despite defeat, coach Jason Key will be able to take positives from a spirited performance going into the new season.

The hosts also felt a number of key decisions went against them in the closely-fought cup tie at Moxon Fields but will turn their focus to their forthcoming league campaign with less than a fortnight to go until kick-off.

Thornensians came flying out of the traps on Saturday and were on top for the first 15 minutes but could not get through a Hemsworth defence led superbly by Matt Hall.

But the pressure eventually told as the visitors scored a converted try to edge 7-0 ahead.

Hemsworth’s response came from a Joe Thompson penalty just after the half-hour mark and that is the way it stayed until half-time.

As with the first half, Thornensians made the better start on the resumption and increased their lead with a converted try.

But Hemsworth skipper Thompson gathered his troops and they produced an increased effort, something which resulted in their first try of the match.

Rob Taylor was the scorer, breaking free of the visiting line to touch down and allow Thompson to add the conversion.

Thornensians swung the momentum back their way when they added a goal and the sin-binning of Hemsworth’s Jake Thompson left it all to do for the hosts.

But instead of allowing the visitors to take advantage, Hemsworth redoubled their efforts and Thompson converted his own try, created by Rob Hooker to bring the scores level with just five minutes left to play.

The hosts could not build on that score, however, and Thornensians took advantage of a 5 metre scrum to score what proved to be the winning try.

Hemsworth continued to push forward, with their visitors being penalised a number of times on their own line.

A quick tap allowed the hosts to seemingly squeeze over the line but the referee adjudged the player to have been held up and he blew for full time.

Hemsworth face Pontefract in their final friendly this weekend.