Harrogate Town end battling Frickley Athletic’s FA Cup hopes

Frickley athletic new kit New club badge
Frickley athletic new kit New club badge

HARROGATE Town ended Frickley Athletic’s FA Cup hopes with victory by the odd goal in five in the Third Qualifying Round on Saturday.

The Blues pushed their Blue Square North opponents all the way and may have felt they deserved another bite of the cherry after Adam Bolder eventually hit Town’s second-half winner.

Jimmy Ghaichem got the visitors off to the perfect start when he flicked a Matty Bloor cross into the back of the net after just three minutes

Harrogate levelled through Paul Beesley in the 15th minute and the same player fired his side ahead for the first time eight minutes later.

The see-saw tie took another twist on the half-hour when Gavin Allott got the South Elmsall side back on level terms by heading in a Ghaichem cross.

Frickley had their chances to regain the lead, notably through Allott, Luke Hinsley and Dave Buck but Harogate snatched what turned out to be the winner 15 minutes from time through Adam Bolder.

The hosts were reduced to ten men a minute after the goal when Lee Elam saw red for retaliation to Ghaichem and it sparked a frantic finale.

But Karl Rose’s men couldn’t level the scores again despite chances falling to Allott and Jake Picton.

Harrogate: Craig MacGillivray, Matt Bloomer, Dave Merry, Paul Bolland, Alan White, Danny Stimpson, Tom Platt, Luke Dean, Chib Chilaka (Dan Clayton 82min), Paul Beesley (Danny Forrest 72min), Lee Elam; unused subs, Leon Osborne, Jonny Allan, Adam Nowakowski.

Frickley: Tom Woodhead, Terry Barwick (Henry Sibenge 86min), Lee Stratford (Jason Yates 82min), Indy Aujla, Jake Picton, Luke Jeffs, Jimmy Ghaichem, Matty Bloor, Gavin Allott, Luke Hinsley (Chris Wood 84min), Dave Buck; unused subs, Tom Johnston, Reece Fennell, Zack Levers.

Referee: Mr Martin Coy.

Attendance: 349.

See this week’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express for all the latest sports news from around the area.