Frickley Athletic: Whitby Town end Blues’ seven-match unbeaten run

editorial image

Frickley Athletic’s seven-match unbeaten run came to an end on Easter Monday when Whitby Town left Westfield Lane with all three points thanks to a 2-0 victory.

David McTiernan gave Town the lead just before half-time before a Jason Yates own goal in the 70th minute secured the victory.

A silence was observed before kick-off in memory of Blues supporter Joe Howcroft.

The hosts started well and went close to opening the scoring in the second minute when Jamie Wootton headed a Jimmy Ghaichem corner kick over the bar. Jack Picton also had a low 20-yard effort parried by Whitby goalkeeper Nicholas Liversedge.

Frickley’s bright start was thwarted by an injury to defender Gareth Clayton, Danny Walsh coming on and the back four being reshuffled.

It allowed Whitby to come more into exchanges and the home goal had a let off in the 31st minute when a shot by Nathan Mulligan struck a defender on the line and went behind, while Jamie Green did well to turn a 30 yard free-kick from Mulligan off target two minutes later.

The visitors had the ball in the net in the 36th minute but it was disallowed for an infringement, but there was no mistake four minutes later when McTiernan drilled the ball in from 25 yards after a corner was only half cleared.

The Blues tried to get on level terms on the restart and Ghiachem went close with a header five minutes in, while a free-kick by Luke Jeffs in the 64th minute saw Callum Howe out jump the Town cover but his header shaved the bar.

Whitby improved their lead in the 70th minute when Shane Henry managed to get in an angled shot before falling down injured and the ball was diverted into his own net by Jason Yates.

Picton and Joe Wilcox both had efforts blocked on the line, while Gavin Allott and Yates missed decent chances for the Blues, who endured a bad day at the office, late on in the match.

The defeat followed a 0-0 stalemate at mid-table Ashton United on Saturday, a result that saw Karl Rose’s men go unbeaten through March and lift them a position further up the Evo-Stik Premier Division table.

Frickley: Green, Wilcox, Jeffs, Picton, Clayton (Walsh 19), Howe, Yates, Bloor (Allott 53), Wootton (Hinsley 74), Burgess, Ghaichem. Unused subs: Wood, Levers.

Whitby Town: Liversedge, Hassan, Robinson, Burgess, White (Purewal 86), McTiernan, Portas, Henry (Lane 70), Farrell (Smith 13), Armstrong, Mulligan. Unused subs: Corker, Campbell.

Referee: Wayne Grunnill.

Attendance: 224.