Frickley Athletic suffer FA Trophy upset against Brigg Town

ON TARGET: Luke Hinsley got on the scoresheet against Brigg but it was not enough to help the Blues avoid defeat.
ON TARGET: Luke Hinsley got on the scoresheet against Brigg but it was not enough to help the Blues avoid defeat.
Share this article

The Blues were on the end of an FA Trophy upset on Saturday when they crashed out at the First Qualifying Round with a 2-1 home defeat against lower-division Brigg.

Luke Hinsley had the hosts on level terms after a Luke Jeffs own goal had given the visitors an early lead but Oliver Fisher’s strike 13 minutes from time saw Evo-Stik Division 1 South Town through.

Blues boss Karl Rose had to shuffle his pack with Steve Gardner suspended and Sam Denton and new signing James Burgess both out through illness.

New recruit Charlie Clamp came in and appeared a second-half substitute.

It was hard to argue with Brigg’s success as they looked the more committed and a yard quicker all over the pitch from the off.

The result was a seventh-minute lead when Ryan Paczkowski’s header took a deflection off Jeffs and trickled into the back of the net with Blues goalkeeper Tom Woodhead stranded.

The Blues looked for an immediate response and Hinsley spurned a good chance five minutes later when he headed a Jimmy Ghaichem cross wide.

Town looked just as threatening going forward and Paczkowski lifted a 20-yard effort over the bar while Joe Wilcox needed to be alert to divert a dangerous cross from Thewlis to safety.

In-form Gavin Allott headed off-target just before the interval as Brigg took a deserved lead into the break.

Frickley came out with more purpose in the second half and the equaliser came five minutes after the restart when Hinsley rose to head a Jeffs corner into the back of the net.

It gave the hosts a shot in the arm and Joe Fox saw a shot blocked before Ghaichem shot straight at Town stopper Rob Zand as the Blues started to look the more likely to progress.

But Brigg produced a sucker-punch in the 77th minute when Fisher’s cross caused Woodhead all kinds of problems and the ball dipped inside the far post to give the visitors the lead.

Clamp, Allott, Bloor and Wilcox tried to get Frickley on level terms but Brigg hung on.

Frickley: Woodhead, Oniama, Villermann, Picton, Wilcox, Jeffs, Fox (Clamp 68 ), Bloor, Hinsley, Allott, Ghaichem (Fearon 80). Unused subs: Kenny, Stratford, Rose.

Brigg: Zand, Ashton, Matthews, Bowsley, Hellewell, Jacklin, Zuerner (Fisher 63 ), Dickens, Paczkowski, Thewlis, Broughton (Grimes 75). Unused subs: Collishaw, Wright, Iggledon.

Attendance: 136.

Referee: Ian Johnston.