Frickley Athletic end away day hoodoo with crucial victory at Kendal Town

editorial image

They say good things come to those who wait, and Frickley Athletic’s long wait for an away league win came with a crucial 2-0 victory at Kendal Town on Saturday.

Two Chris Wood penalties, both in the first-half, gave the Blues three points on their travels at their 14th time of asking and boosted their survival hopes.

The win moved Frickley 12 points clear of the Evo-Stik Premier Division relegation zone and will no doubt be a big shot in the arm for boss Karl Rose and his men going into the latter stages of the season.

Kendal are one of the teams Frickley need to keep in check and the Cumbrian hosts, who trailed their visitors by nine points going into the game, had the first shot in anger when Mason McGeecham got clear but dragged his shot wide.

Frickley largely kept the home attack at bay and found the breakthrough with one of their first penetrating raids at the other end.

Jake Picton burst into the Kendal area and was hauled down by Martin Grundy, leaving the referee with no option but to point to the penalty spot.

Wood stepped up and left Town goalkeeper Craig Dullson stranded with the spot-kick.

The Cumbrians rallied and Danny Mangham sent a 30-yard drive flying wide.

Chances were few and far between for both sides but Frickley doubled their advantage before half-time.

This time Jimmy Ghaichem was brought down when he darted into the box and Wood again stepped-up from the spot.

Dullson managed to parry his penalty this time but the Blues striker followed it up and drilled home the rebound.

The second half saw Frickley continue to press, with defender Callum Howe firing a header straight at Dullson.

Play switched to the other end a minute later and Jamie Green had to move quickly to deal with a McGeecham effort from the egde of the box.

Town upped their gear as they looked for a way back into the contest and Rob Wilson twice came close to pulling a goal back.

Wood saw a chance for his hat-trick come and go in the latter stages and, at the other end, Howe cleared a Mike Barron effort off the line in stoppage time as Rose’s men hung on for a big three points and a league ‘double’ over Kendal.

Kendal: Dullson, Ferguson, Mangham (Helliwell 57), Wilson, Brown, Freeland, Grundy Clark (Barron 76), Rushton, McGeecham, Rawsley (Taylor 65). Unused subs: Cook, Hastings.

Frickley: Green, Wilcox, Fisher, Picton, Clayton, Howe, Yates (Stratford 90), Walsh, Hinsley (Howarth 76), Wood, Ghaichem (Jeffs 87). Unused subs: Davis, Woodhead.

Referee: Tony Young.

Attendance: 120.