Frickley Athletic: Blues see off Stocksbridge to book Hillsborough final date

AT THE DOUBLE: Gavin Allott scored twice for Frickley in their Sheffield and Hallamshire Cup semi-final success at Stocksbridge
AT THE DOUBLE: Gavin Allott scored twice for Frickley in their Sheffield and Hallamshire Cup semi-final success at Stocksbridge
Share this article

Frickley Athletic will be playing at Hillsborough in the final of the Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup for the second year running after coming from behind to defeat Stocksbridge Park Steels 3-1 on Thursday night.

Former Blues striker Danny South fired Steels ahead from the penalty spot just before half-time but the game was in the balance after Jake Picton levelled things up early in the second half at the Look Local Stadium.

Gavin Allott won it for Karl Rose’s men with an 83rd-minute penalty before adding his second in the last minute to book a final date with Sheffield FC at Sheffield Wednesday’s home ground.

The match was Frickley’s third in six days but the Blues started well in the north of Sheffield, with Allott having a couple of headers saved by Steels goalkeeper Richard Haigh.

The Blues’ top scorer looked in determined mood and he flicked the ball over Haigh in the ninth minute only for the ball to drop just wide of the goals.

It took Stocksbridge 17 minutes to launch their first threat when Chris Bettney lifted a free-kick just over the target.

Frickley were on top for the most part and had a dozen corners, one of which dropped to Jamie Wootton in the 32nd minute and he struck the bar, while Luke Hinsley had a shot blocked on the line two minutes later.

The first corner kick Stocksbridge had resulted in the Steels being awarded a penalty for a foul on former Frickley forward Danny South.

South dusted himself down to give Blues goalkeeper Jamie Green no chance from the spot-kick.

Stocksbridge took the lead into half-time but it did not last long as the Blues got on level terms six minutes after the restart when Allott got away on the left and pulled a low ball back for Picton to drill home from six yards.

The Blues upped the tempo and Wootton twice went close before Haigh did well to punch a Joe Wilcox cross to safety.

Brett Bowden Lovell headed a Steels free kick over the bar but Frickley went ahead eight minutes from time.

The referee awarded a penalty for an incident inside the box when Wilcox whipped in a free-kick. Allott stepped up to fire his side ahead.

There could have been another penalty to the Blues minutes later when Wilcox cut inside his marker and was hauled down but the referee adjudged it to have taken place outside the area. Luke Jeffs blazed the effort over.

Any hopes Steels had were dashed in the 89th minute when a slick Blues raid saw Allott find the net again from close range to see the South Elmsall side through to the final.

Stocksbridge: Richard Haigh, Nicky Darker, Ben Turner, Nick Swirad, Brett Bowden Lovell, Alex Callery, Chris Bettney, Will Senior (Tommy Agus 67), Danny South, Alex Denton, Jordan Thewlis (Nathan Joynes 87). Unused subs: Hegel Noubissie, Darren Schofield, Andy Ring.

Frickley: Jamie Green, Joe Wilcox, Luke Jeffs, Jake Picton, Patrece Liburd, Callum Howe, Luke Hinsley, Terry Barwick (Danny Walsh 89), Jamie Wootton, Gavin Allott (Chris Wood 90), Chris Howarth (Jason Yates 87). Unused subs: Matty Blooor, Zack Levers.

Referee: Mr Luke Watson.

Attendance: 102.