Super sub Hinsley gives Blues dramatic point against Buxton

editorial image

Super sub Luke Hinsley struck in the fifth minute of added time to give Frickley Athletic a dramatic and valuable point in a six-goal thriller with Buxton.

The Evo-Stik Premier Division clash swung both ways before the Blues eventually grabbed a hard-earned point in a 3-3 draw.

The draw was Frickley’s second on the spin at Westfield Lane and could prove crucial in their quest to remain in the division with other results largely going their way.

Blues boss Karl Rose handed a debut to Jamie Wootton, who arrived at the club on work experience from Scunthorpe United.

And he was the first to threaten the Buxton goal when, on eight minutes, he fired a 30-yard drive inches wide.

Frickley stopper Tom Woodhead kept a clean sheet on his return to action last time out but he was left to pick the ball out of the back of the net 11 minutes in when Mark Reed headed in a long Marc Roberts throw-in to give the Bucks an early advantage.

Frickley soon turned the game on its head, however, with just the response the home fans desired.

Jason Yates got the Blues on level terms two minutes after Reed’s opener when he struck home a dangerous cross at the second attempt.

Four minutes later, Chris Wood hit an angled shot from the left that crept just inside the far post to give the hosts the lead in an action-packed opening.

Frickley had the momentum and Jimmy Ghaichem saw a curling cross turned around the post and, from the resulting corner, Wootton headed just over.

Buxton introduced former Frickley forward Lee Morris on the resumption and he saw a shot deflected wide early in the second half.

Steve Istead hit the bar before Neil Stevens headed the Bucks level.

The flow was back in Buxton’s favour and, after Frickley failed to deal with a free-kick, Reed doubled his tally to give the visitors what looked to be a winner.

Stevens had a couple of good chances to seal it for the Bucks late on but Frickley kept going right until the final whistle and substitute Hinsley rescued a point late on with a dramatic leveller.

Frickley: Woodhead, Wilcox, Fisher, Picton, Clayton, Howe, Yates (Jeffs 90), Walsh, Wootton (Hinsley 68), Wood, Ghaichem (Howarth 55). Unused subs: Stratford, Green.

Buxton: Mills, Black, Green, Istead, Sandwith, Roberts, Stevens, Towey (Thornhill 73), Reed, Lugsden (Morris 46), Maxfield. Unused subs: Durcum, Deakin.

Referee: Andy Smith.

Attendance: 229.