New boy Curtly is hat-trick hero on Frickley debut

Tyler Williams, in good form for Frickley against Ilkeston.
Tyler Williams, in good form for Frickley against Ilkeston.

New signing Curtly Wyatt-Martin made an instant impact for Frickley Athletic as he hit a hat-trick on his debut to help his new club to a vital victory in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

The latest addition to the Blues ranks took just five minutes to open his account as Lee Morris’s men went on to end their poor run of home results in emphatic style with a 4-0 success in a six-pointer against relegation rivals Ilkeston.

The visitors started the game just two points behind fifth from bottom Frickley with as many as four games in hand so the hosts knew they could not afford another home slip up and went about their task in determined fashion.

They went ahead from their first serious attack as Wyatt-Martin latched onto a weak clearance by the visitors, taking the ball off a defender and shooting under the keeper.

The Blues soon threatened another goal when young loan player Kuda Muskwe went on a good run into the box to fire in a fierce shot that was just clawed away by the keeper. A well worked corner then led to Tyler Williams having a strong shot saved.

It was all Frickley and a defence splitting pass led to Williams outpacing the defence. His shot was blocked and the ball fell to Gary Stohrer who hit a half-volley just over from outside the box.

Ilkeston’s cause was not helped when they had Danny Gordon sent-off for a bad foul on Stohrer on 21 minutes, but they held onto half-time just one down. The Blues did go close through Julian Lawrence’s header, Luke Hinsley and Rhys Meynell while Williams was proving a real handful.

Frickley were frustrated for a while after the break before they finally made their superiority tell with a second goal on 68 minutes. An inswinging corner by Macauley Parkinson was met by Meynell who sent a thumping header into the net.

Four minutes later it was 3-0 as Wyatt-Martin controlled the ball well in the area before firing past the keeper.

The Blues were into cruise control now and almost struck again when Hinsley hit a shot just over after a fine move and Wyatt-Martin hit the post.

Ilkeston were reduced to nine men five minutes from time as Tom Gamblen was red carded for a second bookable offence after saying something out of turn to the referee.

Frickley then put the icing on the cake when Wyatt-Martin made his debut all the more memorable with his third goal, putting away a penalty after Stohrer was brought down.