Late penalty save denies Frickley three points in eight-goal thriller

Jacob Hazel, scored two and saw a last minute penalty saved for Frickley Athletic.
Jacob Hazel, scored two and saw a last minute penalty saved for Frickley Athletic.

Frickley Athletic were involved in a remarkable Evo-Stik South game against Kidsgrove Athletic at the Big Fellas Stadium on Saturday.

Eight goals, a huge comeback and late drama – the game had it all before the Blues had to eventually settle for a point from a 4-4 draw.

They ended disappointed, especially after failing to put away a late penalty, but a draw looked unlikely when going three goals down in the first half-hour.

Leon Ashman fired the visitors ahead after 12 minutes and they stunned the home crowd with two goals in two minutes from Timothy Sanders and Anthony Malbon to go 3-0 up.

It seemed the Blues were suffering a hangover from their winning run being ended the week before, but they dug in and pulled two goals back in the last five minutes of the half.

First, Jacob Hazel scored from Ben Algar’s free-kick then almost immediately Algar was the provider again, setting up Gavin Allott to net from about 10 yards out.

Seven minutes into the second half it was 3-3 as Hazel netted his 34th goal of the season following good work by Tyler Walton and Allott.

Allott went close soon after, but there was no stopping him on 66 minutes as he fired home to put Frickley ahead with their fourth goal in 26 minutes.

Kidsgrove were not done, however, and they made it 4-4 with 11 minutes remaining as their danger man Malbon struck.

Now it was Frickley’s turn to show their spirit as Hazel was sent clean through only for the visitors’ keeper to stand strong.

Right at the death, Hazel then broke into the area and was brought down by the keeper. A penalty was the result, but again Hazel could not take the chance to complete his hat-trick as his spot kick was comfortably saved.

Frickley are in action tonight at their Big Fellas Stadium when they take on Alvechurch (kick-off 7.45pm).