Last-gasp goal denies Frickley after battling comeback

Luke Hinsley, on target on his return to the Frickley Athletic club.
Luke Hinsley, on target on his return to the Frickley Athletic club.
Share this article

Frickley Athletic found themselves slipping down the Evo-Stik Premier League table after being denied a point in cruel fashion by a last-gasp header on Saturday.

Up against Skelmersdale United, the Blues looked set to bring something back from their travel after a battling come from behind performance only for Rob Brodie to give the hosts victory in the dying seconds at Stormy Corner.

With Jameel Ible and Danny South both suspended, Frickley manager Karl Rose was forced to make changes for the latest league game. Luke Jeffs slotted in at centre-half while the return of Jake Stannard at right-back allowed Macauley Parkinson to return to left-back and Luke Hinsley came in up front to partner fit again Gavin Allott.

Skelmersdale took the lead in the 18th minute with McCarthy drifting in from the left before firing low past Ben Simpson.

The Blues responded and Brad Riley was unlucky to see his volley tipped over.

The first of the afternoon’s baffling decisions followed when despite the ball being a foot over the byline, Allott was allowed to play on. His pass found Young whose shot was charged down.

The second half saw the home side continuing to look dangerous down the left and breaking quickly. They extended their lead in the 55th minute when Curtis Thompson expertly volleyed low from the edge of the box.

Frickley refused to buckle and got a foothold when Riley smashed the ball into the top corner following a scramble in the box in the 62nd minute.

Ten minutes later they were level when Hinsley cut in from the left and curled a low shot into the right bottom corner through a ruck of players.

Allott missed a great chance for the Blues minutes later when he was put clear only to snatch his shot wide when it looked easier to round the keeper for a simple tap in.

But in the dying seconds Simon Harrison ushered the ball out for what appeared to be a Frickley goal kick. The referee thought otherwise and awarded a corner which was whipped in and headed home by Bodie. It was tough on the Blues who showed great fight to draw level in a game that looked to be slipping away.

Frickley: Simpson, Stannard, Parkinson, Harrison, Cyrus, Jeffs, Riley, Young, Hinsley, Allott, Williams (Davies) .

Frickley are back at home this Saturday when they host Belper Town (3pm). They are also in action in the league next Tuesday at home to Buxton (7.45pm).