Kellingley out of luck despite brave effort against title chasers

Kellingley Welfare's Kyle Fish.
Kellingley Welfare's Kyle Fish.

Kellingley Welfare pushed title favourites Otley Town all the way in a physical encounter and were unlucky to go down 3-2 in their West Yorkshire Division Two game.

An even first half saw Town take the lead on 15 minutes, a glancing header from a flag kick going in.

Kells were creating chances and were back on level terms after Kyle Fish was hacked down inside the box and Tom Davies sent the keeper the wrong way from the resulting spot kick.

Almost from the restart Welfare shot themselves in the foot, giving away a needless free-kick on the edge of their 18-yard box, with Town taking full advantage and to go back in front with a fierce strike.

The second period saw more of the same with the hosts pushing for an equaliser. Stopper Dylan Metcalf kept Kells in the game with a superb save from another free-kick.

Kyle Fish found a leveller when he charged down an attempted clearance, outpaced the defence and finished with a clinical strike.

Welfare looked to find a winner, but as before they got caught short at the back and a kind bounce for Otley’s sub saw him smash the ball home.

Kells sensed it was not going to be their day when Regan Fish had a good effort turned round the post and Davies saw a free-kick rattle the upright then rebound to safety.

Although looking a little rusty at times after a long lay-off Kellingley will be pleased with the performance making their opponents work the full 90 minutes to take all the points.

Kells have no game over Easter, but the following week they travel to Knaresborough Celtic.

Featherstone Colliery finally played their overdue first round West Yorkshire League Cup tie at Newsome and came through 3-2 to earn a round two date at home to Old Centralians.

On target were Jordan Hale (two) and Thomas Field.

Kippax earned a point from a 3-3 draw at home to Boroughbridge in West Yorkshire Division One and remain in eighth place. They host Rawdon Old Boys this Saturday.

Nathan Perks was on target four times to help FC Prince move four points clear in Division One of the Wakefield Saturday League.

Prince beat FC Gascoigne Garforth 5-1, with Luke Hobbs also on target, and their day was made all the better as second-placed Durkar FC lost 3-0.

White Swan took a point from a 3-3 draw away to Fieldhead Hospital in Division One. Ryhill FC remain in contention for the Division One title with games in hand and they progressed in the Division One League Cup as well with a 2-1 success away to Pontefract Sports & Social, Barry Braiden netting both their goals.

Rock Inn won through in the Premier Division League Cup with a 3-1 home win over Real Moor.

West End Terriers ran out 6-2 winners against Waterloo FC in Wakefield Division Two.