Glasshoughton pay penalty for missed chances in FA Cup loss to Knaresborough Town

Despite putting on a strong display in front of a raucous home crowd, Glasshoughton Welfare bowed out of the FA Cup after losing to Knaresborough Town on penalties.

Wednesday, 2nd September 2020, 11:48 am
Action from Glasshoughton's defeat to Knaresborough Town.

A total of 272 sport-starved fans packed into Leeds Road and watched on as the two sides battled in Tuesday's extra preliminary round tie.

A 1-1 draw at full time saw the tie go straight to penalties in which Knaresborough – who are a league above Glasshoughton - prevailed 4-2.

Defeat at this first stage of the competition will earn Welfare £375 from the FA in prize money. However, with almost 300 fans at the ground and a strong performance on the field, this was certainly a good night for the Castleford outfit.

The game got off to a frantic start with three big chances coming in the opening eight minutes. The first of which fell to the visitors as Brad Walker’s shot forced Glasshoughton’s Lewis French to parry the strike away for a corner.

Just moments later, all the action was at the other end of the field as a huge scramble in front of the Knaresborough goal almost saw the home side take the lead.

Welfare were made to rue the missed opportunity as the visitors eventually opened their account on the 25th minute mark. Dan Thirkell scored straight from a free kick to give Paul Stansfield’s men a 1-0 lead.

Fifteen minutes later Knaresborough’s Walker found himself one on one with the keeper however, once again he was denied by French who came out on top with a quick save.

With only a few minutes remaining of the first half, the home side began to turn up the heat. Another goal mouth scramble in front of the visitor’s net saw Knaresborough keeper Sam Lee pull off a double save to deny Ashley Bell and Mark Ferguson.

However, just moments later Glasshoughton finally got their breakthrough. The visitors failed to deal with a long throw which allowed Bell to power the loose ball into the bottom right corner.

The second half saw both sides produce far fewer chances in what turned into a scrappy affair. Nevertheless, with the score remaining tied after 90 minutes, the game went straight to a penalty shoot-out.

Knaresborough’s captain Gregg Anderson went first and didn’t disappoint as he opened the scoring. Daniel Youell couldn’t follow suit for Glasshoughton but, he wasn’t the only one to miss as the visitors' designated penalty taker, Dan Thirkell, also failed to convert.

The next four spot kicks were all scored leaving Welfare’s Andrew Horbury under pressure to make it 3-3. Unfortunately for the home side, his shot was saved. Knaresborough’s Greg Kidd, on the other hand, comfortably tucked away his penalty to seal the win for the visitors.

“On the whole I think we held our own,” said Glasshoughton’s joint-manager Darren Holmes. “We worked hard, soaked up all their pressure. I think if we would have scored our chances earlier on, it would have been a totally different game.”

The result means Knaresborough move on to the next round of the competition in which they’ll take on Workington AFC at Manse Lane.