Frustrations show as Frickley let two-goal lead slip

Jacob Hazel, who scored his 35th goal of the season.
Jacob Hazel, who scored his 35th goal of the season.

Frickley Athletic will have to dust themselves down from a disappointing day when they let a two-goal lead slip to lose 3-2 to promotion rivals Bedworth United.

The Blues looked set for a fantastic victory that would have pushed them back into third place in the Evo-Stik South as goals either side of half-time seemed to have them in control. But it all went wrong in the last 23 minutes and the frustrations showed as manager Spencer Fearn was sent-off for comments made to the referee.

There was little sign of the drama to come in an opening half that was mostly a midfield battle played out on a 3G pitch.

Tom Dugdale missed a chance after going through, but he made no mistake in opening the scoring on 26 minutes after meeting an inviting cross from new boy Sam Liversidge at the far post.

Frickley went close to a second as Ishmael Dawson ran to the by-line, beat the keeper and put the ball across the goal only for it to agonisingly roll past the posts with no-one on hand for a tap-in. Gavin Allott glanced a header just wide and it stayed 1-0 to half-time.

Liversidge put a shot wide early in the second half following good work by Allott and Dawson. More impressive work by Dawson did lead to a second goal on the hour as he won the ball in the box to set Jacob Hazel through to score his 35th goal of the season.

That should have been the points in the bag, but Bedworth were given a lifeline seven minutes later when an attempted clearance by keeper Hugo Warhurst saw the ball cannon off Iyseden Christie and fly into the net.

An undoubted fluke, but it gave the hosts renewed confidence and they equalised six minutes later as Levi Rowley went unchallenged on a good run to score.

Bedworth went for the winner and got it two minutes from time with Luke Keen netting with an acrobatic finish in the area. Manager Fearn was unhappy with what he saw as bad officiating in the build-up to the winning goal and was sent to the stand.

He had endured a frustrating afternoon after Frickley had played well to be deservedly two up only to seemingly have the stuffing knocked out of them after the freakish nature of the first Bedworth goal.