Frickley win final pre-season warm-up

Frickley's Simon Lenighan (left), who was a scorer against Ossett Town.
Frickley's Simon Lenighan (left), who was a scorer against Ossett Town.

Frickley Athletic completed their pre-season schedule with a comfortable 3-1 win at Ossett Town when new signing Royale Johnson was a scorer along with Luke Hinsley and Simon Lenighan.

Brad Dockerty was absent through injury for the last warm-up match ahead of the new season in the Evo-Stik Premier League while defender John Cyrus was named on the bench but did not come on as a precaution to help him in his bid to be fit for this Saturday’s opening league game.

Manager Karl Rose brought in striker Connor Bower, who was with Ossett Albion last season, and former Leeds United academy player Lenighan returned to the team after having trials with Football League clubs over the previous week.

The Blues took the lead in the 13th minute when Bower sent Johnson clear and he pushed the ball past advancing goalkeeper Tom Morgan before scoring from a tight angle.

On the half hour they extended their lead as a great crossfield ball from Lenighan picked out Tyler Williams on the right and he fed Hinsley who fired a first time shot into the bottom left hand corner from 15 yards.

Brad Kilburn tried a speculative 25-yard shot for the home side that just cleared the bar on 35 minutes, but it stayed 2-0 to half-time.

Bower went close for Frickley early in the second half, dragging his shot just wide of the far post after being played in by Lenighan.

But two minutes later the Blues added a third goal with Bower holding the ball up well on the right of the box before finding Lenighan who hit an 18-yard shot just inside the left hand post.

It was not all plain sailing for Frickley as Connor Griffin was carried off with an injury on 62 minutes and had to be replaced by James Kay.

But the Blues went close again on 71 minutes when Hinsley’s 25-yard shot was tipped over the bar.

Sam Leigh, who had replaced Sebastian Malkowski in the Blues goal, collected an 18-yard shot from Luke Gordon in the 81st minute, but he was helpless to prevent Dave Merris from finding the back of the net for a consolation goal from 25 yards a minute later.

Ossett Town: Tom Morgan, Brad Kilburn, Steven Jeff, Sam Pashley, Tyrone Gay, Dave Merris, Sam Wright, Daz Lucas, Nathan Curtis, Chris Ovington, Luke Gordon. Subs. T’nique Fishery, Taylor Wallace, Sam Akeroyd, Sanchez Payne, Jake Rose, Kurtis Noble, Josh Whiteley, Ryan Mottam-Henry.

Frickley Athletic: Sebastion Malkowski, Macaulay Parkinson, Connor Griffin, Luke Hinsley, Luke Jeffs, Jameel Ible, Luke Hornsey, Simon Lenighan, Connor Bower, Royale Johnson, Tyler Williams. Subs. James Kay, John Cyrus, Chris Wood, Sam Leigh, Connor Purdew, Louis Penty, Reece Davidson.

Referee: Joe Starkie