Frickley suffer back to back defeats

Frickley v Burscough - Ben Simpson tips one past the post for  Frickley
Frickley v Burscough - Ben Simpson tips one past the post for Frickley

A poor defensive display cost Frickley Athletic dear as they suffered a 4-0 defeat in the Evo-Stik Premier League at Buxton on Tuesday night.

The heavy loss came on the back of a 1-0 defeat at home to Skelmersdale United on Saturday and left the Blues bottom of the table after eight matches with just one win and two draws to their name.

Having completed a three-match suspension, Luke Hornsey came back into the side at the expense of Brad Riley who dropped to the bench for the trip to second-placed Buxton. Ryan Williams switched to the right hand side of the midfield four.

Playing up the hill in the first half, the Blues were pegged back and struggled to get a foothold in the game. In only the fourth minute Kyle Harrison was penalised for a foul in the box only to see Ben Simpson make a superb stop low down to his left to keep out the resulting penalty.

Pinned in their own half for much of the first half, Frickley were limited to occasional breaks from Hornsey and Williams but created little until Hornsey put a header in the 23rd minute.

The Bucks immediately responded when former Blues loanee Liam Hardy broke clear down the right and flashed a shot just wide.

Hardy was again the danger in the 34th minute when he was allowed to run across the edge of the box unchallenged and this time he cracked a shot into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

The Blues came into the game a little more after that and Gavin Allot got between the last defender and goalkeeper only to be brought down on the edge of the area. From the resulting free-kick the ball dropped to Matty Young, whose rising drive just cleared the bar.

In the second half the Blues created more pressure but few clear cut chances, the best falling to Allott who used the outside of his right foot to lift the ball over the keeper only to see the ball creep agonisingly over the bar.

A good run and cross from Ryan Williams saw Danny South win the header which went just wide with the keeper between.

The Blues were caught in the 66th minute after Williams had a shot charged down. The hosts switched play and a long ball down the centre saw Lee Stratford left chasing Shaun Tuton who rounded Simpson to make it 2-0.

Manager Karl Rose then brought on Brad Riley and Aaron Joseph for Kyle Harrison and South with Williams switching up front. It made no difference as another simple long ball saw Jameel Ible lose out to Tuton who again ran clear and buried it past Simpson to make it 3-0 on 80 minutes.

A carbon copy two minutes later saw a simple ball missed by John Cyrus with Tuton again the man to take advantage as he ran unchallenged to complete his hat-trick.

Frickley Athletic: Simpson, Harrison (Joseph), Stratford, Parkinson, Cyrus, Ible, Hornsey, Young, South (Riley), Allott, Williams (Barnett).

Frickley Athletic were left disappointed on Saturday after failing to pick up any points in a narrow defeat to Skelmersdale United at Westfield Lane.

A goal two minutes into the second half from Connor McCarthy was enough to separate the two sides in an entertaining Evo-Stik Premier League game.

The Blues made one change from the side that had achieved a first league win of the season against Matlock Town in the previous game with Matty Young fit enough to return to the midfield in place of Aaron Joseph who dropped to the bench.

They started strongly and had claims for a penalty in the first two minutes waved away when Gavin Allott latched onto a flick-on from Danny South and appeared to be bundled over by Kenny Strickland inside the six-yard box.

Ben Simpson diverted an angled shot by Strickland into the side netting at the other end and McCarthy shot straight at Simpson from 20 yards.

Brad Riley saw his 20-yard shot for the Blues go wide on 25 minutes while Allott burst through the United defence five minutes later only to see Martin Fearon turn his 18-yard shot just past the far post.

The visitors took the lead two minutes after half-time when a quick break down their left saw a harmless looking ball played across the box, but Danny Mitchley managed to pull the ball back for McCarthy to score from 12 yards.

Frickley responded with South heading a Young free-kick wide and Riley shooting straight at Fearon from just inside the box on 57 minutes.

Allott went down inside the area trying to reach a cross from Macaulay Parkinson while almost immediately Curtis Thompson found space on the edge of the Blues’ box to fire inches wide.

On 74 minutes Allott found substitute Sanchez Payne in space on the right and he advanced before shooting just wide from 20 yards.

Jameel Ible blazed over from 18 yards before Skelmersdale substitute Michael Monaghan was sent clear but dragged his tame effort wide.

The last chance of the game fell to Young who hit a dipping 25-yard volley wide and Frickley were left to reflect on a good effort when it was just not their day in front of goal.

Frickley Athletic: Simpson, Harrison, Stratford, Parkinson, Cyrus, Ible, Riley, Young, South, Allott, Williams (Payne 55).