Frickley slip down table after away day disappointments

Jamie Green.
Jamie Green.
Share this article

Frickley Athletic suffered a second away day disappointment inside a week when they went down 3-0 at Matlock Town on Tuesday night in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

The Blues were looking to kick on and aim towards the top half of the table, but are now left looking over their shoulder at the relegation zone after dropping back to 17th place.

Matlock went into the game fifth from bottom and four points behind the Blues, but struck first when Daniel Holland netted after 29 minutes. It stayed 1-0 to half-time with keeper Jamie Green saving a penalty.

Frickley’s hopes of a comeback were hit as five minutes into the second half the ball went into their net off Green.

Matlock sealed their win a minute from time through Joe Leesley and the Blues were left with an unhappy journey home.

Frickley Athletic came away empty handed from their trip to Stourbridge in the Evo-Stik Premier League on Saturday.

Gavin Allott continued his run of scoring form with his 11th goal of the season, but Karl Rose’s men went down 2-1.

The Blues made their first-ever league visit to Stourbridge FC looking to continue their recent good form against a side that went into the game just one place above them with the same number of points.

But they were without usual goalkeeper Ben Simpson, with Jamie Green stepping in on his return to the club, as well as defenders Jake Stannard and Jameel Ible and it was the hosts that made the better start to go two up in the first half.

The first real chance saw Stourbridge take the lead on 18 minutes when Reece Hales beat Green with a powerful strike. They doubled the advantage on 32 minutes as Kyle Haynes’ cross from was half-cleared by Simon Harrison, but fell straight to Jordan Fitzpatrick who slammed it back past Green, again leaving the keeper helpless.

Danny South headed a decent chance wide for Frickley, but they did not manage to find the net until 17 minutes from time when Allott was bundled over by Chris Knight as he seemed set to score. Allott picked himself up to put away the resulting penalty and the defender was sent-off.

With an extra man this was the Blues’ chance to get something out of the game, but they were unable to score again although they increased the pressure and appeared unlucky not to get a second penalty for handball by Paul McCone.

In the next week Frickley take a break from the league as they go in search of cup glory in two separate competitions.

On Saturday they host Marine in the first qualifying round of the FA Trophy at Westfield Lane (kick-off 3pm). Then next Tuesday in a change of originally scheduled fixture they are at home again to Stocksbridge Park Steels in the third round of the Sheffield and Hallam Senior Cup (kick-off 7.45pm).