Frickley receive a boost on and off the pitch

Luke Hinsley
Luke Hinsley

Two fellow Evo-Stik League clubs, Whitby Town and FC United of Manchester, have come to Frickley Athletic’s aid following the recent clubhouse break in.

Supporters from Whitby Town have produced a number of Frickley-badged mugs and mobile phone cases that they have donated to the Blues to sell to raise funds.

They were produced by Andy Lever, who is responsible for Whitby’s usual club shop merchandise and along with Whitby’s club shop manager George Osborne, who used to live local to Frickley, he delivered the items to the club in time for the new items to be on sale at last Saturday’s home game against Barwell.

Meanwhile, FC United of Manchester have helped Frickley source a replacement for the TV that was stolen during the break-in. Upon seeing news of the Blues’ plight United’s general manager, Andy Walsh, put Frickley in contact with Tim Worrall, of Airwave Europe, who has arranged for a replacement refurbished TV to be delivered to be installed in the Bigfellas Clubhouse.

A Frickley spokesman said: “We are extremely grateful for this help and offer our sincere thanks to the people involved.

“These are fantastic gestures which, despite the rivalry on the pitch, goes to show the solidarity between Evo-Stik League clubs off the pitch.”

The Blues gave themselves a boost on the field with a 2-1 success against Barwell and now face a trip to bottom of the table Droylsden this Saturday as they look to make it four straight wins and pull further clear of the relegation zone.

Manager Karl Rose will be able to select Luke Hinsley with the club successfully appealing against the striker’s controversial sending off in last week’s Doodson Sport Cup tie against Loughborough Dynamo.

Hinsley was sent-off for violent conduct by a referee who deemed that he had pushed Loughborough’s Connor Hughes in the face following a clash between the pair in the last few minutes of the game.

The club were of the opinion that the video backed up the belief of many at the time that Hinsley did not commit such an act and was actually quite restrained considering what he was subjected to.

And following the submission of video evidence an FA regulatory commission ruled in Frickley’s favour, meaning that Hinsley will not now serve a three match suspension. However, the dismissal will still remain on the record of both the club and the player.

After their win over Loughborough, the Blues have now been drawn at home to Premier Division high-flyers AFC Fylde in the semi-finals of the Doodson Sport Cup. The tie is due to be played next Tuesday, with a 7.45pm kick-off.

The winners will meet either Skelmersdale United or Carlton Town in the final, to be played at Stockport County’s Edgeley Park ground on Sunday. April 13.