Frickley pegged back after flying start

Scorer: John Cyrus.
Scorer: John Cyrus.

Frickley Athletic made it four games unbeaten, but had to settle for a draw after leading at half-time in their latest Evo-Stik Premier League game at home to Workington.

John Cyrus headed the Blues into an early lead, but Gareth Arnison equalised just before the hour as a keenly contested game ended 1-1.

Manager Karl Rose had a strong squad to choose from with the return of Zeph Thomas and Jameel Ible from international duty.

Thomas had to be content with a place on the bench, but Ible replaced Brett Lucas in the defence. Loanee Jimmy Eyles also returned after being unable to play in the midweek county cup game, but recent dual-registration signing Ross Armstrong was required on the bench for North Ferriby.

The Blues started the game well, Brad Grayson seeing a 15- yard shot deflected wide in the second minute while Scott Allison headed wide from six yards at the other end for Workington.

The opening goal came in the seventh minute when Macaulay Parkinson’s left wing corner was headed back across goal for Cyrus to head in from six yards.

Brad Dockerty ran at the Workington defence in the 15th minute before firing in a low 22-yard shot that Alex Mitchell held well as the Blues took control of the game. Grayson then saw his angled shot cleared off the line and Luke Hinsley’s follow up shot from the edge of the box was blocked by a defender.

Out of the blue, Matthew Tymon saw his looping header into the top right hand corner disallowed for offside and the visitors started to look threatening. A quickly taken throw-in saw Conor Tinnion in space in the Blues box, but Dockerty managed to get back and block the winger’s shot.

Thomas replaced the injured Grayson at half time, but the Blues seemed slow out of the blocks.

Joseph McGee fired over the bar from 18 yards, Sebastian Malkowski then blocked on the line from Kyle May before the Blues scrambled the ball clear.

But Workington equalised in the 58th minute. Tinnion’s ball to the edge of the box was headed down into the path of substitute Arnison by May for Arnison to fire an angled shot past Malkowski from 12 yards.

Five minutes later Jacob Simpson broke clear down the right before shooting wide from the edge of the box before the Blues started to haul themselves back into the game.

Eyles had a shot deflected wide before he was replaced by Jacob Hazel who was involved immediately. A long clearance from Malkowski led to his shot on the turn being blocked by Mitchell’s outstretched arm with Hazel responding quickest to get in a shot from the rebound, but the ball flew into the side netting.

Two minutes later Hazel forced Mitchell into a smart save from the edge of the box and Thomas went agonisingly close in the 81st minute when he received a cut-back from Williams to aim a shot which just cleared the bar.

Two minutes from time a good run from Thomas as he cut in from the right saw his cross find Williams just inside the box, but his first time shot was blocked by a covering defender and it was honours even at the end.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Hornsey, Parkinson, Hinsley, Cyrus, Ible, Dockerty, Lenighan, Eyles (Hazel 67), Grayson (Thomas 45), Williams.