Frickley pegged back after Allott strikes

Frickley Athletic's Danny South is tightly marked by a Marine player during Saturday's game.
Frickley Athletic's Danny South is tightly marked by a Marine player during Saturday's game.

Frickley Athletic let a half-time lead slip as they had to settle for a point from their home game against Kings Lynn Town in the Evo-Stik Premier League on Tuesday night.

Gavin Allott’s penalty just before half-time raised hopes that the Blues could gain a crucial three points in their fight against relegation, But Kings Lynn fought back to earn a 1-1 draw that leaves Frickley fourth from bottom.

Manager Karl Rose recalled Macaulay Parkinson, James Kay and Brad Riley into the starting 11 with Jake Stannard, Luke Jeffs and Danny South making way for them.

The visitors started the better of the two sides with Stephen Spriggs forcing Ben Simpson into a smart save with a shot from 25 yards in the second minute.

The Blues lost goalkeeper Simpson through injury in the 18th minute and shortly afterwards his replacement, Sam Leigh, was forced to tip a 20-yard free kick from David Bell over the bar.

Frickley started to come into the game with Alexander Street dashing out to clear from the onrushing Allott on 34 minutes and the Blues took the lead in the 43rd minute as Reece Thompson was pulled back by Henry Eze, who was fortunate to escape with a yellow card. A penalty was the result and Allott stepped up to blast the spot kick past Street.

Chances were at a premium in the second half although Riley saw an angled 18 -yard shot deflected just wide.

Town equalised on 71 minutes when Spriggs saw his cross spilled by Leigh with substitute Winn following up to score.

Desperate for the points to move away from the relegation zone, the Blues rallied briefly late on with Street rushing out to clear from Allott and then blocking on the line from Thompson following a deep free-kick from James Kay in the 87th minute.

Frickley: Simpson (Leigh 18), Parkinson, Kay, Hornsey, Cyrus, Ible, Riley (South 82), Bloor, Thompson, Allott, Hinsley.

A bitterly disappointing showing from the Blues saw them go down 2-0 at third from bottom Marine on Saturday.

Stephen Wainwright opened the scoring in the 19th minute while Jamie Menagh rifled in an excellent 25-yard strike to seal the win eight minutes later.

Eight points adrift of the Blues before the game, the Mariners were far more up for their task and deservedly took the three points after showing superior desire.

Karl Rose had a fully fit squad and made a couple of changes with Danny South starting in a three-pronged attack while Bobby Johnson came into midfield.

The hosts stated their intentions in the fourth minute when Lewis Codling sprinted away with the ball from half-way to have a low 20-yard shot saved by keeper Ben Simpson.

The Blues carved out a chance seven minutes later as Johnson played in South, but having done well to hold off a defender to get to the ball the striker was off balance as he could only turn and fire in a weak shot straight at Matthew Cooper.

Wainwright then put Marine ahead as he received the ball on the Marine right some 30 yards out and immediately burst into the box before firing in a low angled shot that went in off the far post.

Things went from bad to worse for the Frickley on 27 minutes when Menagh seized on a loose ball 25 yards out and hit a fantastic first time shot which gave Simpson no chance as it flew into the top right hand corner.

The Blues threatened briefly towards the end of the half as Matt Bloor fired over from 15 yards following a cross from the tireless Reece Thompson on the right and then Luke Hinsley shot just over from 20 yards in stoppage time.

The second half was largely a non-event with Marine content to keep the Blues at arms length while Frickley lacked the cutting edge to carve out many chances.

South did go close in the 52nd minute when he headed a Jake Stannard cross just wide and John Cyrus also headed wide on 57 minutes following a left wing corner.

Marine came close to sealing the win with a third goal in the 65th minute when Lloyd Ellams was sent clear, but Simpson deflected his 18-yard shot past the post.

Frickley: Simpson, Stannard, Jeffs (Hornsey 51), Johnson, Cyrus, Ible, Hinsley, Bloor, Thompson, Allott (Riley 78), South.