Frickley out of luck on travel to Norfolk

John Cyrus wins a header for Frickley Athletic against Rushall Olympic. Picture: Andy May
John Cyrus wins a header for Frickley Athletic against Rushall Olympic. Picture: Andy May

Despite a creditable performance Frickley Athletic suffered a 2-1 defeat in Norfolk on Tuesday as they lost out to King’s Lynn in their second game of the new season in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

Manager Karl Rose stuck with the same side that drew the opener with Rushall Olympic on Saturday and for most of the game the Blues looked set to gain at least a point until George Thomson popped up with a 74th minute winner.

The Blues started positively with Jameel Ible heading over following a corner from Matty Young in the second minute while Young himself had a 25-yard free-kick well held by Town keeper Alex Street four minutes later.

Ben Simpson was called into the action in the eighth minute when Ryan Fryat looked odds on to score with a header following a corner but the Frickley keeper somehow blocked the ball on the line.

The Blues took the lead in the 18th minute when Young’s free-kick was flicked on by Danny South for Ible to poke the ball past Street from eight yards.

However, the home side responded immediately with Jackson Ram following in to score after Simpson had blocked a fierce shot from Thomson.

Simpson then pushed over an angled shot from David Bell before Ryan Williams and Luke Hornsey combined for Williams to fire an angled shot across the face of goal in the 26th minute.

Joel Barnett had a curling 18-yard shot well held by Street minutes later while on the stroke of half-time Williams saw his 18-yard shot parried by Street.

The second half saw Young play a free-kick to the back post in the 58th minute with John Cyrus heading the ball down to South who was crowded out in front of goal before he could get a shot in.

Thomson shot over from 15 yards for the home side on 65 minutes after a debatable free-kick on the right and two minutes later Jack Wakefield put a 30-yard free-kick over the bar for the Blues.

King’s Lynn took the lead in the 74th minute when a free-kick from the left of the box was only cleared as far as Thomson on the edge of the box and he blasted the loose ball through a crowded box and into the net.

Within two minutes the Blues went agonisingly close to a deserved equaliser when Young’s corner was headed goalwards by Cyrus but the ball was cleared off the line.

Town did have a chance to extend their lead in the 83rd minute when, with the Blues pushing up, Michael Frew was sent clear of the Blues defence but he shot wide of the left hand post from the edge of the box.

Frickley Athletic: Ben Simpson, Kyle Harrison, Macaulay, Parkinson, Jack Wakefield (Brad Riley 80 mins), John Cyrus, Jameel Ible, Luke Hornsey, Matty Young (Aaron Joseph 90 mins), Luke Hornsey, Matty Young, Danny South, Joel Barnett, Ryan Williams (Ashley Flynn). Unused subs: Matt Knowles, Jon Hood.

Frickley kicked off the new season with a hard fought point at home to Rushall Olympic after playing the last 40 minutes with 10 men following the dismissal of Luke Hornsey.

The Blues were leading 1-0 when 19-year-old Hornsey, who was only signed last week from Scunthorpe United, was sent off in the 49th minute for a lunging tackle on Josh Craddock.

They held on to the advantage until six minutes from time, but Jack Duggan equalised to deny the hosts an opening day victory.

Manager Karl Rose had mixed injury news before the game with Jack Wakefield declared fit, but star striker Gavin Allott ruled out.

Kyle Harrison and Jameel Ible, who signed from Guiseley on Thursday evening, both started. Both are defenders with 20-year-old former Stockport County and York City player Ible joining on a month’s loan and 19-year-old ex-Bradford City youngster Harrison on a dual registration agreement.

After surviving an early scare when Craig Marshall headed a deep free-kick wide at the back post in the eighth minute the Blues took control of their first Evo-Stik Premier League game.

From two Matty Young free-kicks Hornsey shot over and Danny South head narrowly over before Frickley took the lead on 27 minutes. Macauley Parkinson sent over a cross from the left which glanced off Duggan into the path of Joel Barnett, whose first time volley from 16 yards struck the outstretched leg of Gavin Caines and wrong-footed keeper Chris Gemmell to roll into the net.

Rushall almost grabbed an equaliser, but Harrison brilliantly headed Marshall’s looping header off the line.

The game turned when Hornsey was sent off in the 49th minute with Rose reshuffling his side by replacing Barnett with Brad Riley.

But the Blues believed they should have had a penalty as Ryan Williams appeared to be pushed over by Caines only for the referee to wave away appeals.

Rushall finally made their extra man tell six minutes from time when Tony Capaldi’s free-kick was headed just inside the far post by Duggan.

There was still time for more controversy from referee Colin Whitaker when South was hauled to the ground by his shirt inside the box as he tried to meet a free-kick from Young, but again the official ignored the claims.

Frickley were in action in their second league game at Kings Lynn Town on Tuesday night when despite a creditable performance they suffered a 2-1 defeat in Norfolk.

Jameel Ible put the Blues ahead on 18 minutes, netting after Danny South had knocked the ball down, but within a minute the home side equalised through Jackson Ramm.

Athletic stayed solid and it remained 1-1 until the 73rd minute when Kings Lynn grabbed a winner, George Thompson finding the back of the net to give his side all three points and inflict the first defeat on the Blues.

Frickley Athletic: Ben Simpson, Kyle Harrison, Macaulay Parkinson, Jack Wakefield (Aaron Joseph 86 mins), John Cyrus, Jameel Ible, Luke Hornsey, Matthew Young, Danny South, Joel Barnett (Brad Riley 51 mins), Ryan Williams (Ashley Flynn 77 mins). Unused subs: Matthew Knowles, Jon Hood.

This Saturday the Blues travel to play Halesowen Town (3pm) before they have a home game against Grantham Town on Monday (3pm).

The last few spaces are remaining for teams wishing to take part in Frickley Academy’s second annual gala on Saturday, August 30 at Minsthorpe Sports and Fitness.

Any teams interested can contact Allan Howcroft at by email to

Frickley are also still looking for help within the academy as a whole, especially with a referee. Anyone interested can contact Allan Howcroft on 07971 886223.