Frickley miss out on club record

Jacob Hazel on the attack for Frickley Athletic at Peterborough Sports. Picture: Onion Bag Photos
Jacob Hazel on the attack for Frickley Athletic at Peterborough Sports. Picture: Onion Bag Photos

After a record-equalling eight league wins on the spin Frickley Athletic’s 2018 team could not go one better and earn the record outright as they came back down to earth with a 3-2 defeat away to Peterborough Sports in the Evo-Stik South.

The Blues battled back from behind twice and had a late chance to salvage a point, but ultimately fell to a 78th minute goal by Avelino Vieira.

With John Stancliffe continuing in goal with Hugo Warhurst unavailable again Frickley went with 10 of their starting line-up that had walloped Market Drayton the week before, the only change being new signing Tyler Walton coming in for his debut in midfield with Jack Burton moving to the bench.

They started badly, though, going behind in only the fifth minute as Jordan Macleod rounded Jameel Ible before shooting low into the net.

Frickley eased themselves into the contest on a pitch made difficult by rain with Jacob Hazel shooting wide and having another effort blocked. A slip by Ben Algar gave Peterborough a chance, but they shot over.

The visitors were level on 38 minutes when Hazel’s low cross set up Tyler Blake to score at the far post.

But their opponents went close with a header saved by Stancliffe then went back ahead three minutes into added time as Josh Moreman was allowed a free header to nod in from a corner.

Manager Spencer Fearn sent on two subs for the second half, Cameron Hough for Dan Burns and Burton for Blake, and there was an initial improvement with a chance created for Hazel.

Peterborough missed a couple of openings themselves before Ben Algar forced a good save from the home keeper and Gavin Allott saw his header nodded off the line.

A goal had to come and it went to Frickley in the 66th minute as Tom Dugdale’s teasing cross was glanced into his own net by Josh Sanders, under pressure from Hazel who had been sniffing for his 33rd goal of the campaign.

Athletic looked in control now, but instead of going on to win they found themselves behind again in the 78th minute when a speculative cross evaded every visiting player and fell for Vieira, who slipped the ball past Stancliffe from the edge of the six-yard box.

Frickley threw everything at their hosts for the remainder, including putting Ible up front and sending Stancliffe up for corners. An Ible header did manage to force a great save from Peterborough keeper Daniel George.

Hough cleared off the line at the other end after the Blues had found themselves over committed up front. But Frickley had one last chance as Dugdale cheekily nipped in to steal the ball off of George’s toes, but the keeper blocked his shot. The ball rebounded to Ible, but he shot wide of an empty net and with that the unbeaten run had ended.