Frickley made to pay for defensive errors

Jameel Ible celebrates scoring following a corner to make it 3-1 to Frickley Athletic moments before half-time against Pickering. Picture: Onion Bag Photos
Jameel Ible celebrates scoring following a corner to make it 3-1 to Frickley Athletic moments before half-time against Pickering. Picture: Onion Bag Photos

Frickley Athletic’s slide down the Evo-Stik East Division continued as they were made to pay for defensive errors at home to Sheffield FC on Tuesday night.

The 3-2 defeat, with all the goals coming in the first half, left the Blues with just one win from their last six league matches and they are now down in 12th place.

After throwing two points away in a remarkable and controversial 4-4 draw at Pickering Town last Saturday Frickley were looking to make amends, but they were unable to shake off defensive blues they have suddenly struck.

Weak defending saw them go two down as Mark Newsham struck twice in three minutes for the visitors. Tyler Walton quickly pulled one back for the hosts, but within two minutes they were found wanting at the back again with Mitchell Dunne netting.

Frickley showed their resilience as they made it 3-2 on the stroke of half-time through Jacob Hazel.

But after all the action of the first half it was a much tighter game after the break and no further goals followed.

Jameel Ible came closest to an equaliser when he got on the end of a well flighted free-kick, but even six added minutes could not save the Blues.

Amazingly Frickley were involved in a second successive 4-4 draw last Saturday when they travelled to North Yorkshire to take on Pickering.

They are still trying to work out how they only came home with just a point after leading 4-1 with just four minutes of normal time remaining.

Several controversies marked the match, the first after just four minutes when the home keeper cleaned out Jack Burton after the Frickley player was sent clear. A penalty was awarded, but the offending player was only yellow carded. He could not prevent Hazel from netting from the spot kick, however.

Hazel, who had shown signs of getting back to his best the previous week, was proving hard to handle for Pickering and had three more chances to add to the Blues’ lead. The first of them saw his lob go over before the keeper made two saves to deny him after that.

Frickley’s bright start did see them double their lead on 22 minutes as the keeper’s poor clearance fell to Walton and he carried the ball to the edge of box before sending an unstoppable curling shot into the top corner of the net.

Burton had to come off feeling the effects of the knock to the head he took in the incident with the home stopper and the Blues were briefly caught out with Nick Thompson scoring.

On the stroke of half time, however, Jamie McGuire and substitute Jed Wilkinson combined in a move that was put out for a corner and the resulting flag kick was powered home from close range by Ible.

It looked all over as a contest early in the second half when Walton bagged his second goal with a brilliant run and calm finish after beating three defenders with great skill at pace.

There was no sign of a home comeback and Hazel almost added a fifth for the Blues as he went on another great run only for his shot to go wide.

But Pickering were handed a lifeline four minutes from time when awarded a penalty which was put away by Ryan Blott, just, as keeper Hugo Warhurst despairingly dived.

Before Frickley could blink they were under pressure again and Daniel Davison netted to make it 4-3 going into added time.

And right at the death Pickering did the unthinkable and scored again to level the game up, Billy Logan credited with the goal from a corner and more controversy leaving Frickley feeling upset as they felt that Warhurst was taken out as the last-gasp cross came in.

The referee did not see a foul and Frickley were left to lick their wounds in a game in which they were in complete control. It was all the more frustrating as this was their best performance for some time.