Frickley looking to step up in remaining pre-season games

Frickley's Jack Burton closes in as a Sheffield Wednesday midfielder attempts to build another attack. Picture: Onion Bag Photos
Frickley's Jack Burton closes in as a Sheffield Wednesday midfielder attempts to build another attack. Picture: Onion Bag Photos

While results do not count for anything at this stage Frickley Athletic will be keen to return to winning ways in their next warm-up match this Saturday after losing their last three games.

Spencer Fearn’s men put up a good effort against Sheffield Wednesday’s development team, but came out the wrong end of a 3-2 result on the back of losing 4-0 to Mickleover Sports and 3-2 to Sheffield United U23s.

Now they face Gainsborough Trinity this Saturday at Westfield Lane (kick-off 3pm) looking for a confidence boost before the big kick-off in the Evo-Stik League’s East Division on August 18.

The Blues also play a newly arranged match at home to Leeds United U23s next Tuesday (7.45pm) and are away to Scarborough Athletic the following Saturday.

There was some encouragement despite the result in last Friday’s lively game at home to Sheffield Wednesday’s under 23s.

The Owls twice took the lead only to be pegged back and survived conceding a penalty before winning it late on through Preslav Borukov.

Wednesday were ahead inside five minutes as Fraser Preston buried a firm shot past Frickley goalkeeper Hugo Warhurst after timing his run to perfection. Only a last ditch block on the line by defender Liam Williams denied Jacob Hazel, but the Frickley man would not be denied on the half-hour, neatly placing his shot into the net.

James O’Halloran restored the Owls’ lead before the break, putting away Jack Stobbs’ cross.

Both sides had chances early in the second half as Preston fired wide following a solo run and home defender Jameel Ible headed wide when unmarked in the six yard box.

Frickley drew level again on 57 minutes with Hazel slotting home his second of the game after bursting into the box from the left.

Soon after they were awarded a penalty, but the Blues, who had spot kick problems last season, saw Ben Algar’s effort saved by Cameron McCulloch before Jack Lee slid in to complete the clearance from the rebound.

Three minutes from time Wednesday struck the decisive blow when Bulgarian forward Borukov scored from Preston’s through ball.

Goalkeeper Hugo Warhurst played against Sheffield Wednesday after rejoining Frickley on the eve of the game.

Warhurst has joined from Sheffield FC on a one-year deal with an option of a further year at the end of the 2018-19 season. He was a key member of the team last season on loan from Sheffield United, before moving on to Sheffield FC for the remainder of the campaign.

Frickley manager Spencer Fearn is pleased to have the keeper back. He said: “We are delighted to welcome Hugo back to Westfield Lane. We have a real competition for places across the squad in all positions now and we are looking forward to him being with us again.

“He has had an injury recently so has not trained as much as he would have liked, but he’s fully recovered now and is raring to go.”