Frickley fail to cash in on flying start against rivals

John Cyrus, back in action for Frickley Athletic.
John Cyrus, back in action for Frickley Athletic.

Frickley Athletic were unable to bounce back from a disappointing week as they hosted Alvechurch in a key Evo-Stik South game on Tuesday night.

After seeing their long unbeaten run ended last week then being deducted three league points and only being able to draw with a Kidsgrove Athletic team 13 places below them in the table, the Blues were obviously keen to get back to winning ways.

But they were up against opponents who had beaten them 2-0 earlier in the season and who went into Tuesday night’s game just one point behind Frickley with three games in hand.

Alvechurch also brought with them an impressive away record in the league this season that had seen them lose only once and they went back down south with the three points again courtesy of a 2-1 victory.

But it was Frickley in the driving seat initially as they were ahead after only 11 minutes when Gavin Allott took control of a bouncing ball and came up with a superb flick to set Tyler Walton free in the area to take the ball on before scoring his first goal in a Blues shirt.

Alvechurch settled to play some decent football, however, and the hosts were unable to cash in on their flying start.

The visitors levelled seven minutes before half-time as a corner was only half-cleared to the edge of the box and when the ball was played back in Josh Marsh climbed highest to head past home keeper Hugo Warhurst.

Manager Spencer Fearn made substitutions to try to get his side going, but it was Alvechurch who struck next just past the hour mark when Luke Yates cleverly flicked the ball in after meeting a low cross from the right.

It was to prove the winner with Frickley unable to hit back and their normally deadly strikeforce of Allott and Jacob Hazel having a rare off night.

There was some good news with defender John Cyrus coming on as a second half substitute to make his long awaited return to action after a long injury lay-off. But it was Alvechurch doing the celebrating at the end as they stretched their unbeaten run to six.

Frickley have now lost two of their last three and are now two points behind Alvechurch from three games more.