Frickley earn trip to Chorley with impressive FA Cup display

Royale Johnson opens the scoring for Frickley Athletic against Maltby Main.
Royale Johnson opens the scoring for Frickley Athletic against Maltby Main.

First half goals from Royale Johnson and Jacob Hazel saw Frickley Athletic take the first step on the way to FA Cup glory with a 2-0 win at Maltby Main on Saturday.

The win in the second qualifying round of the Emirates FA Cup extended the Blues’ unbeaten run to seven matches and they now face a trip to Vanarama North side Chorley in the second qualifying round on Saturday, September 26 (kick-off 3pm).

Manager Karl Rose was forced into one change as Louis Bruce was unavailable with North Ferriby United not wanting him cup-tied. Macaulay Parkinson moved to right-back with Luke Jeffs coming in at left-back.

Playing up the pronounced slope in the first half, the Blues went close in the fourth minute, but Jacob Hazel shot over from 18 yards following a good run from Tyler Williams down the left.

A similar run by Johnson on the right three minutes later saw him cut into the box before having his shot blocked by Maltby keeper Jamie Bailey.

Johnson was involved again on 12 minutes when he picked out Zeph Thomas on the edge of the box, but the forward’s first time shot was deflected just wide of the post.

The Blues went ahead on 21 minutes when Jeffs sent over a cross from the left that Thomas flicked on for Johnson to knock past Bailey at the far post.

Jameel Ible saw his header from a Parkinson corner tipped onto the bar by Bailey and Thomas shot over from 18 yards before the Blues extended their lead on 31 minutes when Johnson fed Hazel, whose low 18-yard shot flew just inside the right hand post.

After barely being in the game Maltby came to life on the stroke of half-time with Nicky Darker forcing Sebastian Malkowski into a great save to push away his strong 20-yard shot.

Frickley lost Luke Hinsley at half-time with a knee injury and he was replaced by Brad Dockerty who went onto the left wing with Thomas dropping into midfield and Johnson moving alongside Hazel up front.

This seemed to unsettle the Blues with Maltby enjoying far more play in the second half and they went close within 30 second of the restart when Ben Thornton’s cross-come-shot from the left struck the top of the crossbar.

Frickley still threatened, though, with Hazel sending Johnson clear on the right of the box on 55 minutes only for Bailey to be quickly out to block his shot. Five minutes later Josh Nodder cleared off the line from Hazel after Johnson had set him up.

Malkowski again denied Darker on 69 minutes before a good run from Williams finished with a low 20-yard shot flying inches wide.

Thornton forced Malkowski into another fine save on 77 minutes when he had to dive full length to his left to push away Thornton’s curling angled shot and as the game entered stoppage time Darker saw his 18-yard shot deflected wide.

Substitute Chris Wood had a low angled shot smothered by Bailey in the sixth minute of stoppage time and in the final seconds Thornton saw his curling 20-yard effort just clear the bar.

Frickley: Malkowski, Parkinson,Jeffs, Hinsley (Dockerty 45), Cyrus, Ible, Johnson (Wood 73), Lenighan, Hazel, Thomas (Ellam 95), Williams.