Frickley earn points with second half fight back

Frickley Athletic's John Cyrus clears the ball against Stamford. (AB526a1115)
Frickley Athletic's John Cyrus clears the ball against Stamford. (AB526a1115)

Frickley Athletic climbed the Evo-Stik Premier League after staging a second half comeback to overturn a 1-0 interval deficit and run out 3-1 winners against Stamford at the SW Jackson Utilities Stadium.

Shawn Richards gave the visitors a 19th minute lead, but an own goal from Tom McGowan early in the second half saw the Blues draw level. Brad Grayson then headed Frickley in front on 70 minutes before Simon Lenighan sealed the win with a 25-yard free-kick late on.

New loan signing Jimmy Eyles partnered Grayson up front with Brett Lucas keeping his place alongside John Cyrus in central defence in the absence of Jameel Ible on international duty.

In wet and breezy conditions Stamford had the first sight of goal with home keeper Sebastian Malkowski doing well to deflect a shot by Jordan Smith wide with his legs.

Two minutes later Eyles had a clear run at goal, but saw his 18-yard shot blocked by Stamford keeper Enol Ordonez with his legs.

Eyles then saw his shot on the turn from six yards clear the bar following a Grayson corner before Stamford took the lead on 19 minutes. A corner was half-cleared and when the ball was played back to the edge of the box Richards had acres of space to curl a left footed shot past Malkowksi into the net.

Brad Dockerty had a low 18-yard shot saved by Ordonez on 24 minutes following a good build-up by the Blues, but Andrew Phillips had a great chance to score a second for Stamford two minutes later when he was sent clear by Smith, but he scuffed his shot straight to Malkowski.

Grayson and Cyrus went close for Frickley, but it stayed 1-0 to half-time.

It only took the Blues six minutes to equalise in the second half as Parkinson’s corner was missed at the near post by Luke Hinsley only to be diverted in off visitors’ defender McGowan.

Sustained Blues pressure saw Tyler Williams have a shot deflected wide, Grayson see a volley pushed over by Ordonez and Luke Hinsley send a spectacular overhead kick inches over. But they finally got their reward on 70 minutes when Grayson met a Parkinson corner with a header into the roof of the net from four yards out.

Stamford rallied briefly with Malkowski having to react quickly to smother the ball at the feet of Smith.

But it was all over on 88 minutes when Lenighan’s free-kick deflected in off the wall.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Hornsey, Parkinson, Hinsley, Cyrus, Lucas (Matthews 77), Dockerty, Lenighan, Eyles (Hazel 83), Grayson (Wood 89), Williams.