Frickley bounce back with cup win after league run ends

Match winner: Frickley's Danny South.
Match winner: Frickley's Danny South.

After seeing their unbeaten league run ended on Saturday Frickley Athletic were straight back to winning ways with a 1-0 success away to AFC Emley in the second round of the Sheffield and Hallamshire Senior Cup on Tuesday night.

A goal in the very first minute from Danny South proved enough to put the Blues in the next round.

New signing Jack Dean was given a starting place in midfield alongside Matty Young, while Brad Riley was rested and Simon Harrison switched to left midfield.

With virtually a full-strength squad sent out, Frickley were taking the cup tie seriously and got off to the ideal start.

While many were still making their way to their seats, Joel Barnett’s low cross found South and he turned to send a shot that flew past keeper Adam Lawlor.

Northern Counties East League first division side Emley responded well to the early setback with Steve Kenworthy’s chip from distance almost catching out Ben Simpson, but the ball sailed narrowly over.

The hosts put in a flurry of crosses, but all were easily dealt with.

South was, as usual, a constant aerial menace for Athletic, but his flick-ons were not capitalised on by his team-mates.

Frickley’s number nine thought he had his second of the game when he headed home a corner, but he was adjudged to have pushed his marker.

Emley almost equalised moments later, but Max Leonard’s near post drive went inches wide.

Both sides looked like scoring in an open second half. Emley captain Paul Sykes had a header saved, while at the other end Barnett’s diving header was glanced well wide after a great cross from Ryan Williams.

Barnett went close again with 15 minutes left, but Lawlor was equal to his tame volley.

Harrison was inches away from doubling Frickley’s lead, but his two efforts were well turned away by the in-form home keeper, although he was troubled by Luke Jeffs’ corner which looked goalbound until it was scrambled away.

It stayed 1-0 to the finish with the Blues pleased with their clean sheet and a place in the next round.

Frickley were disappointed on Saturday when they suffered a 2-0 home defeat against Stamford in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

With 10 points out of 12 in their previous four matches the Blues went into their latest league game in good spirits, but they were unable to find their goal touch against a Stamford side looking to get to back on track after a promising start to the campaign.

The visitors had failed to win in their previous five games, but still came into the match at Westfield Lane in seventh place and defended well to deny the hosts before coming up with two goals in the second half.

Jordan Smith put Stamford ahead three minutes after the break and Shawn Richards made sure of their victory eight minutes from time.

With star striker Gavin Allott failing a late fitness test, it was always going to be a tough afternoon, but Karl Rose’s side started well and went closest to scoring in the first half through Joel Barnett.

Sanchez Payne was lively before being stretchered off just before the break with suspected knee ligament damage after a strong challenge.

In the second half Danny South’s header was expertly tipped wide by visiting keeper Andrew Stevens and Barnett’s centre was cleared off the goal-line. Late on South and John Cyrus went close with headers, but the Blues could not find the net.

Frickley are on their travels this Saturday when they face Skelmersdale United in the Evo-Stik Premier League (kick-off 3pm).

Frickley have received a boost with the news that John Cyrus has signed a contract with the club. The centre-back has made the step up from North East Counties Division One football with ease and has established himself as a key player in the Blues side this season.