Frickley blast Dynamo aside to reach cup semis

Joe Wilcox.
Joe Wilcox.
Share this article

Goals from Joe Wilcox and Andy Villermann allowed Frickley Athletic to comfortably see off Loughborough Dynamo and progress to the semi-finals of the Doodson Sport Cup.

Tom Woodhead took over goalkeeping duties from Ben Simpson while Joe Kenny replaced Fernando Moke, Luke Hinsley replaced Leon Osborne and Gavin Allott returned in place of Ryan Paczkowski. New signing Brad Kerr was on the substitutes bench.

Woodhead was called into action in the fourth minute when he just managed to get his hands to a deep free-kick from Nathan Watson which saw the ball drop just wide of the far post.

Hinsley had the Blues’ first effort of the evening, firing high and wide from outside the box in the 12th minute and Joe Wilcox went closer five minutes later, heading wide of the near post following a corner.

Watson put a 20-yard shot wide of Woodhead’s right hand post on 21 minutes with Hinsley having a shot blocked inside the box a minute later as the Blues responded.

Luke Jeffs put a 20-yard free-kick inches wide of the right hand post shortly afterwards and Allott then saw his angled shot blocked by goalkeeper Kahil Mann-Kier after being sent clear by Jake Picton.

Frickley took the lead on 33 minutes when Hinsley’s shot was blocked by Joe Pheasant and the ball fell to Wilcox whose charged-down shot was blocked by the legs of Mann-Kier under pressure from Allott with the ball coming back to Wilcox to stroke into an empty net from 12 yards.

Four minutes after half time the Blues effectively sealed the win when Andy Villermann burst forward, exchanged passes with Allott outside the box and steered the ball past Mann-Kier from 15 yards after receiving the return pass.

Minutes later Picton found Allott in a good position on the right of the box but his low shot rolled wide of the far post with Mann-Kier beaten.

Hinsley saw his 15-yard shot fly straight at Mann-Kier after being set up by Allott on 55 minutes and 10 minutes later Picton again sent Allott clear but Mann-Kier came off his line quickly and blocked Allott’s shot for a corner.

The Blues were looking certain to add to their tally with Picton having a shot deflected just wide and a Ghaichem corner being scrambled off the line.

Two minutes from time substitute Kerr just failed to reach a cross from Ghaichem that was flicked on by Allott but both sides were reduced to 10 men as the game entered stoppage time.

Hinsley challenged Connor Hughes for the ball near the corner flag with the Loughborough man reacting, shoving Hinsley into the wall and pushing him while Hinsley stood his ground. Common sense at that stage would have been to warn both players but instead both players received a straight red card, with Hinsley having particular reason to feel aggrieved.

Frickley Athletic: Tom Woodhead, Kasper Amdal, Andy Villermann, Jake Picton, Sam Denton (Joe Davies 75), Luke Jeffs, Joe Kenny (Brad Kerr 78), Joe Wilcox, Luke Hinsley, Gavin Allott (Sam Cable 89), Jimmy Ghaichem. Unused subs: Lee Stratford, Ben Simpson.

Loughborough Dynamo: Kahil Mann-Kier, Joe Pheasant, Dean Gent, Lee Attenborough (Joe Shaw 57), Jake Betts, Luke Blakeley, Robert Norris (Connor Hughes 45), Martin Bowles (Luke Smithson 45), Kris Nurse, Jarrod Westcarr, Nathan Watson. Unused subs: Mark Harvey, Alex Pycroft.

Referee: Alan Hull

Attendance: 133.