Frickley back on winning track in Senior Cup

Frickley's Matt Bloor, back with a goal.
Frickley's Matt Bloor, back with a goal.

Frickley Athletic returned to winning ways when they progressed to the quarter-finals of the Sheffield & Hallamshire Senior Cup with a 3-0 win at home to Stocksbridge Park Steels on Tuesday night.

Reece Thompson gave the Blues a perfect start with a goal just six minutes into the third round contest.

It stayed 1-0 until a minute before half-time when Matt Bloor marked his welcome return from injury with a goal to double Frickley’s advantage.

Any hopes of a comeback from Stocksbridge were ended on the hour as Thompson hit his second to clinch a 3-0 success and a last eight place for the Blues who won this trophy in 2013.

Frickley were beaten in the FA Trophy at the first hurdle with a disappointing display against Marine.

Karl Rose’s men suffered their third successive defeat as they went down 2-0 in a first qualifying round tie to a side below them, third from bottom in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

The Blues went into the tie without injured trio Jameel Ible, Luke Hornsey and Sanchez Payne, but had goalkeeper Ben Simpson back from holiday and he returned to the side in place of Jamie Green with new signing Sam Leigh providing cover.

Frickley started strongly enough. Playing downhill with the wind behind, they enjoyed most of the early possession and territory as Marine struggled to clear their lines.

Despite this the Blues rarely created anything with a Danny South header the only chance.

It was Marine who took the lead against the run of play when a Christian Langos cross from the right was only half cleared to Andrew Fowler who drilled home from 10 yards.

Frickley boss Rose made a couple of early changes with the ineffective Brad Riley replaced by Simon Harrison and an injured Gavin Allott making way for Reece Thompson.

Six minutes after the break Marine sealed the game with Simpson dropping the ball at the feet of Langos, who made no mistake.

From that point the contest was effectively over as the Blues huffed but created little. Only sub Joe Davies, who replaced Max Leonard, showed the required desire.

Frickley now return to the Evo-Stik League this Saturday when they are away to seventh-placed Ilkeston (3pm).

They are also in action next Tuesday, away again, when making the long travel to the north east to Blyth Spartans for a first round tie in the Doodson Sport Cup (7.45pm).