Frickley Athletic hit for six at Chorley

Alex Callery
Alex Callery

FOLLOWING the euphoria of winning their first game of the Evo-Stik Premier Division season last Saturday, Frickley Athletic came back down to earth with a bump last night, Tuesday.

Athletic defeated Burscough 2-0 at home last weekend but it all changed last night when the Blues were outclassed 6-0 at Chorley, who showed no mercy in front of goal to go top of the Premier Division table.

It might have been different if Frickley had seized a great opportunity to break the deadlock just two minutes into the game in Lancashire.

Danny Walsh delivered a cross from the left and the visitors were awarded a penalty when Jack Watts was held down by Andy Russell in the box.

However, Walsh spurned the chance to put his team ahead, hitting the top of the bar with his effort from the spot.

To rub salt in the wounds, Chorley were awarded a spot kick only 10 minutes later when stopper Adam Billard caught Shelton Payne and Steve Foster made no mistake to open the hosts’ account.

Five minutes later, Andy Russell headed in a cross from the right to double the home advantage but the Blues almost reduced the arrears in the 21st minute when Chorley goalkeeper Russ Saunders smothered a powerful 25-yard drive from Watts.

The Lancastrians made it 3-0 on the half-hour when Foster broke through the visiting cover and chipped the advancing Billard to find the bottom corner of the net.

Bradley Grayson had an angled 15-yard drive saved in the 45th minute before Tom Ince burst down the left in the fourth minute of first-half stoppage time and crossed for Foster to complete his hat trick with a fine header.

The Magpies maintained the tempo on the restart and the Blues keeper did well to push away a close range effort by Lee McEvilly in the 63rd minute.

Alex Callery and Carl Jones combined well for Frickley in the 74th minute, with Callery’s shot being deflected behind, but the corner kick was quickly cleared and Payne out-paced the visiting cover to beat Billard from the edge of the box.

The Blues tale of woe continued in the 90th minute when Simon Whaley’s cross was met by McEvilly who fired home from 15 yards.

Read tomorrow’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express for more news from Frickley Athletic.