Frickley are pegged back after Allott’s double strike

Gavin Allott celebrates a goal.
Gavin Allott celebrates a goal.

Frickley Athletic were forced to settle for a third successive Evo-Stik Premier League draw after letting a two-goal lead slip against Worksop Town.

The 2-2 draw did extend the Blues’ unbeaten run to six games, however, ahead of their crucial game at Stocksbridge Park Steels on Boxing Day.

Goalkeeper James Hitchcock continued in goal with Tom Woodhead and Ben Simpson still unfit while Sam Denton was suspended for accumulating five cautions and Ryan Paczkowski was out with an injured foot.

With the wind in their favour in the first half the Blues were on the offensive from the first whistle, forcing a couple of early corners, the second of which led to Gavin Allott forcing the ball in from almost on the line following a scramble in the fifth minute.

Luke Hinsley and Allott combined inside the box after 12 minutes with Allott setting up Jake Picton whose first time shot was deflected into the side netting.

The resulting corner by Luke Jeffs picked out the unmarked Matty Bloor, but he steered his header just over.

The Blues doubled their lead in the 18th minute when Allott scored from a penalty after Joe Wilcox was brought down by a lunge from Chris Salt as he shaped to shoot.

Athletic came close to another goal as Bloor headed a Jeffs free-kick over. But Worksop had their first effort seconds later when Jack Muldoon shot over and they pulled a goal back on 25 minutes when Phil Roe’s ball into the box was headed out by Andy Villermann only as far as Conor Higginson on the edge of the box and he rifled a controlled shot into the roof of the net, giving Hitchcock no chance.

Two minutes later the Blues had a great chance to regain their two-goal cushion when Tyler Collishaw was bundled over inside the box by Alex Pursehouse, but this time keeper Jan Budtz got a hand to Allott’s penalty, pushing the ball past the post.

On the half-hour Jimmy Ghaichem’s corner came off the head of Roe and hit the top of the crossbar as the Worksop goal led a charmed life.

In the second half Allott had a good run on 58 minutes, beating Salt and cutting in from the right of the box before having his angled shot saved by the feet of Butz.

Roe put a 20 yard free-kick over, but Worksop equalised on 63 minutes when Leon Mettam scored from the spot after Steve Gardner was adjudged to have handled.

Four minutes later Tom Denton missed his kick with the goal at his mercy while in stoppage time Bloor and Allott went close, but the game ended in a draw.

Frickley Athletic: Hitchcock, Gardner, Villermann (Stratford 90), Picton, Wilcox, Jeffs, Collishaw (Kenny 80), Bloor, Hinsley, Allott, Ghaichem.

Referee: Rob Atkin.

Attendance: 257.