Double success lifts Frickley out of relegation zone

Frickley Athletic players celebrate Adam Priestley's goal against Rushall Olympic.
Frickley Athletic players celebrate Adam Priestley's goal against Rushall Olympic.

Frickley Athletic moved out of the bottom four in the Evo-Stik Premier League when they followed up a home win over Rushall Olympic on Saturday with a battling 2-1 success away to Barwell on Tuesday night.

Victory over ninth-placed Barwell lifted the Blues back above Corby Town into fifth from bottom with 13 games left to play this season.

After giving their survival chances a huge shot in the arm they are three points above Corby now, with a game in hand, level with Marine and within a win of 18th-placed Halesowen Town.

Frickley were down on numbers on their trip to Barwell, but made a good start and went ahead on 28 minutes through right-back Ross Barrows.

Barwell levelled six minutes into the second half when Callum Ball netted, but the Blues clinched all the points as Luke Mangham found the target seven minutes from time.

Frickley initially boosted their survival chances last Saturday when they returned to winning ways after three defeats with a 1-0 home success against a Rushall Olympic team from the top half of the table.

Adam Priestley, a Gibraltar international forward brought in on loan from Alfreton Town, proved the hero with a winning goal on his debut.

Manager Lee Morris fought off some stiff competition to bring in Priestley and the decision to sign the one-time Castleford Sunday League attacker brought instant dividends as he found the target on 17 minutes, being alert to seize upon a loose pass before rounding the goalkeeper to fire home.

The Blues could have gone further in front when Waide Fairhurst went close with an ambitious shot from distance.

A glancing header from Mangham following a Shiraz Khan cross was saved by Rushall keeper Jose Veiga and the visiting custodian also did well to deny Fairhurst with a smart double save as Frickley were unfortunate not to have doubled their advantage.

The second half was a different story, however, as Rushall came more into the game. Isaac Cooper’s free-kick was bravely blocked and Jazz Luckie’s close range effort was deflected just wide.

Home keeper Sebastian Malkowski then made a fine save to keep out a Cooper free-kick. Frickley breathed a sigh of relief right at the death when Luckie took the ball round Malkowski and fired goalwards only for Macaulay Parkinson to get his head to the ball and deflect it over. With that the points were safe and Frickley had done the double over Olympic.

This Saturday they are on their travels to Marine (3pm) and Frickley are also in action next Tuesday at home to eighth-placed Matlock Town (7.45pm).