Back to form Frickley enjoy double success

Frickley's James Walshaw goes down in the area during the game against Ramsbottom United. (AB027e0116)
Frickley's James Walshaw goes down in the area during the game against Ramsbottom United. (AB027e0116)

Frickley Athletic climbed up into the top half of the Evo-Stik Premier League after recording their second victory in three days on Monday night.

Karl Rose’s men quickly followed up their convincing 3-0 win over Ramsbottom United at the weekend with another success and another clean sheet when they travelled to Ilkeston Town.

Jacob Hazel and James Walshaw scored second half goals as the Blues eased to a 2-0 win to move up to 11th in the table.

However, they had to withstand late pressure after Jameel Ible was sent off in the 79th minute for retaliating after being kicked while on the ground.

Manager Rose was forced to make a change to his side with Macaulay Parkinson ill so Tom Davie filled in at right-back with Brad Grayson returning on the right wing.

The Blues started well and came close to taking the lead in the first 30 seconds as Luke Hinsley ran at the home defence and cut into the box before seeing his cross-come-shot bounce back off the face of the crossbar.

Grayson volleyed straight at Ilkeston keeper Jamie Hannis in the second minute following a deep cross by Tyler Williams, but the hosts responded almost immediately with Michael Williams heading straight at Sebastian Malkowski when well placed.

Hazel had a strong 30-yard shot tipped over by Hannis while Hinsley shot just wide from 20 yards and Ible headed just over from close in from a Steven Jeff corner.

A great pass from John Cyrus sent the impressive Williams away down the left in the 29th minute, but Hannis got down well to push the winger’s angled shot past the post and Ible headed just over from the resulting corner.

Frickley finally turned their chances into a goal in the 56th minute when Williams again sprinted away down the left and sent over an inviting cross for Hazel to plant a great header past Hannis.

Williams saw his angled shot saved by Hannis soon after, but the Blues went two up as they were awarded a penalty when a good run by Davie saw him brought down and Walshaw confidently converted the spot-kick.

More goals could have followed as Grayson had a 25-yard shot parried by Hannis and Davie saw a header cleared off the line.

But on 79 minutes the complexion of the remainder of the game changed as Ible was sent off for retaliating after seemingly being kicked while on the floor.

Although Ilkeston had plenty of play in the Blues half in the final minutes they rarely threatened Malkowski’s goal. The keeper did make a couple of saves to deny Michael Williams and Matt Baker, but Frickley saw the game out for another good three points.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Davie, Jeff, Hinsley, Cyrus, Ible, Williams, Akeroyd, Hazel, Walshaw (Ryan 92), Grayson.

Goals from Jacob Hazel, James Walshaw and Tyler Williams saw Frickley Athletic comfortably defeat Ramsbottom United 3-0 at the SW Jackson Utilities Stadium to earn their first three points of 2016 in the Evo-Stik Premier League.

Manager Karl Rose paired loan signing James Walshaw with Jacob Hazel up front while Sam Akeroyd started in midfield alongside Luke Hinsley and Macaulay Parkinson returned at right-back.

Hinsley fired a left footed 20-yard shot wide in the sixth minute while some good work from United’s Alex Meaney saw Daniel Wilkins turn and fire over the bar from 12 yards 10 minutes later.

The resulting goal kick from Sebastian Malkowski led to Hazel dispossessing Cameron Dudley 35 yards out before bursting through the visitors’ defence and placing the ball past the advancing Grant Shenton from 15 yards to put the Blues ahead.

Shenton was forced to punch a corner from Parkinson off the line before Walshaw had a “goal” harshly disallowed for a foul on Shenton as he headed in a Steven Jeff cross on 21 minutes.

Walshaw forced a dipping 25-yard volley over on the half-hour and a Hazel cross from the left was just too high for Jeff who headed wide at the back post following a half-cleared corner on 37 minutes.

A Parkinson free-kick was headed over by Walshaw while a string of corners just before half-time saw the Blues go agonisingly close with the pick of the efforts being a deflected 18-yard shot from Hinsley that was headed off the line.

Within a minute of the second half getting underway Hazel sent Williams away down the left and his centre was turned in at the near post by Walshaw to double the lead.

Meaney shot wide for Ramsbottom from 20 yards before Williams added a third for Frickley in the 63rd minute with a fine individual effort, bursting past both Prince Heywood and Kade Koppin into the box from the left wing before placing a right footed shot into the bottom right hand corner.

Jameel Ible headed a curling shot from Luke Heron away on 65 minutes and the Blues took their foot off the gas as Rose introduced Brad Grayson, Grant Ryan and Chris Wood, allowing Ramsbottom to threaten Malkowski’s goal in the last 15 minutes.

Malkowski saved at the foot of his near post from Michael Oates and he was forced to dive to his left to push away a curling shot from Wilkins and then tip an 18-yard shot from Meaney over late on.

Frickley Athletic: Malkowski, Parkinson, Jeff, Hinsley, Cyrus, Ible, Davie, Akeroyd (Grayson 69), Hazel (Ryan 78), Walshaw (Wood 84), Williams.