Allott spot on as Frickley bounce back in thriller

Gavin Allott.
Gavin Allott.

Frickley Athletic bounced back from defeat at the weekend in a seven-goal thriller away to the world’s oldest club, Sheffield FC, in the Evo-Stik First Division South on Tuesday night.

Spencer Fearn’s men were unlucky to go down 3-2 in another away game at unbeaten Basford Town last Saturday, but kept up their amazing record of winning every game so far following a defeat as they came back from South Yorkshire with a 4-3 success.

The Blues had to recover from a shocking start when they trailed 2-0 inside the first 10 minutes to goals by James Gregory and Andrew Gascoigne.

Josh Nodder began the fightback on 13 minutes and it was 2-2 at half-time after Gavin Allott struck.

Allott’s second just after the hour mark seemed to have Frickley in control, but Gascoigne bagged his second from a free-kick to level it up with 17 minutes to play.

The Blues did not settle for a point, however, as they earned a penalty two minutes from time and Allott stepped up to put the spot kick away for his tenth hat-trick in a Frickley shirt and lift the club up to sixth place.

Frickley felt aggrieved to lose at Basford last Saturday after their hosts were given the benefit of the doubt on offside decisions for two of the goals and the Blues were denied a huge penalty shout when Gavin Allott was wrestled to the ground.

Frickley had Grant Allott back in the side while Carl Stewart was handed a start and Jason Yates moved back into his accustomed midfield role. The latter put in the first effort, but the home keeper was able to save comfortably.

A Tom Dugdale corner was cleared off the line and the follow up cleared before Basford took the lead on 15 minutes when Liam Hearn netted despite a whiff of offside in the move.

Frickley hit back within eight minutes as a series of headers set up Jacob Hazel to finish well for his fifth goal of the season.

But a second failure to raise a flag allowed Kieran Wells to make it 2-1 to the home team and that was how it stayed to half-time, although Yates headed a decent chance wide and combined with Stewart to set up Gavin Allott only for the striker to shoot wide.

Athletic dominated the early stages of the second half as good play by Teddy Bloor and Stewart fed Hazel, whose shot was saved. A long throw was then flicked on by Jameel Ible and Gavin Allott found the net with a header.

Both sides were reduced to 10 men when Nicky Darker reacted to being grabbed by visiting striker Hearn and both were red carded.

When it was back to football, Stewart sent a header just over after meeting Bloor’s cross. Hazel put over another good cross for Stewart, but he headed over once more.

Frickley could not believe it when denied a penalty after Allott appeared to be brought down and to rub salt into the wound Basford came up with an injury-time winner when a James Reid free-kick was guided home at the back post by Ben Hutchinson.