Allott at the double as Frickley end away day blues

Gavin Allott.
Gavin Allott.

Frickley Athletic continued their fine start to 2015 when they defied tricky conditions to come up with only their second away win of the season in the Evo-Stik Premier League on Saturday.

Two goals from Gavin Allott and one from John Cyrus saw the Blues win 3-1 at Stamford’s new Zeeco Stadium.

Manager Karl Rose made only one change to the side that beat Blyth Spartans in midweek with Brad Riley replaced by top scorer Gavin Allott and Luke Hinsley moving out wide where he had finished the midweek match. With Ben Simpson still struggling with a back injury Sam Leigh stayed in goals.

Playing into a gusty wind in the first half, Frickley made a dream start when taking the lead with their first attack of the game in the fifth minute.

A long high ball was misjudged by Stamford goalkeeper Andy Stevens as he was pressured by Reece Thompson with the loose ball falling for Allott to fire into an empty net from eight yards.

The lead did not last long as five minutes later the Blues failed to clear their lines, allowing Jordan Smith space to fire in a low angled drive that went in off the far post.

Leigh was forced to race out of his goal to block an effort from Nabil Shariffin the 16th minute with the ball falling kindly for Smith, but his shot from 25 yards sailed wide.

Allott headed a pinpoint cross from the right inches wide and the Blues went close again on the half-hour as good play led to Matt Young’s cross being met by the head of Allott, but Stevens managed to claw the ball away at full stretch.

The resulting corner saw Frickley go agonisingly close again as Luke Jeffs’ flag kick was met by the onrushing John Cyrus four yards out, but he headed over.

The Blues continued to press in the second half with a Young cross finding Hinsley at the back post, but his shot was blocked.

Their reward finally came in the 75th minute when a great ball out of defence by Jeffs released Allott and he hit a great dipping volley that flew past a stationary Stevens to put Frickley ahead again.

Leigh managed to collect a low shot from Stamford substitute Charley Sanders in the 76th minute while almost immediately Matt Bloor saw his strong 25 yard shot dropped by Stevens on the line but the keeper recovered to collect the loose ball as it threatened to blow over the line.

The Blues made sure of victory in the 79th minute when Jeffs whipped over a free-kick and Cyrus stooped to head in from close range.

Daniel Lawlor came close to pulling a goal back a minute later only to head wide from close range while at the other end Jeffs went close to notching his first goal for Frickley with a 30-yard free-kick.