10-man Frickley hold on for crucial point

Luke Hornsey gets a shot in for Frickley Athletic against Marine.
Luke Hornsey gets a shot in for Frickley Athletic against Marine.

Frickley Athletic ended their run of defeats in the Evo-Stik Premier League, but had to settle for a point from a 1-1 draw in their key clash with Marine on Saturday.

The Blues led and looked to be heading for a much needed victory in their relegation fight only for Marine to equalise from the penalty spot 15 minutes from time as Joe Wilcox saw red for his second handball of the game.

Leon Osborne had given the Blues a sixth minute lead and they looked good value for it until Wilcox was penalised for handball in the 28th minute but Ben Simpson saved Dale Wright’s spot kick.

Wilcox received his second yellow, and subsequent red, card in the 75th minute for another handball offence with Andy Fowler this time beating Simpson from the spot.

Manager Karl Rose was boosted by Jake Picton being fit to play while Osborne kept his place after impressing when coming on at Witton Albion on Tuesday evening. Andy Villermann partnered Joe Wilcox in central defence.

The Blues started positively with Luke Hornsey seeing his first time 20-yard shot deflected over the bar after a free-kick from Luke Sharry was cleared to him in only the third minute.

Three minutes later the Blues took the lead when Sharry’s cross was headed down by Luke Hinsley for Osborne to stab the ball past Callum Williams from eight yards.

A dangerous cross from Aaron Rey was knocked clear at the back post by Kasper Amdal on 10 minutes and soon after Neil Harvey flicked on a free-kick for Rey to find himself clear inside the box but Simpson spread himself well to block Rey’s shot from a tight angle.

Hornsey then robbed Will Bell as he tried to bring the ball out of defence and sprinted into the box but Williams was quickly off his line to block Horney’s shot for a corner which Hinsley headed over.

Marine were gifted the opportunity to equalise on 28 minutes when Wilcox handled a deep free-kick inside the box and was booked. But Simpson got down well to save Wright’s penalty.

Hinsley glanced a Lee Stratford free-kick just wide of the far post before the Blues had a let-off when John Shaw’s 25 yard free-kick somehow found its way through the wall and then bounced up in front of Simpson who did well to flick the ball up over the bar.

Seconds later Picton glanced a cross from Jones just over his own bar.

Osborne and Fernando Moke combined well down the left just after the break with the latter cutting into the box before finding the side netting from a tight angle while the visitors came the closest yet to equalising when Michael Monaghan saw his powerful shot from 25 yards hit the crossbar.

Hinsley went close for the Blues before the initiative shifted Marine’s way in the 74th minute when a shot from 12 yards by Jonathan Goulding bounced up and struck the outstretched arm of Wilcox.

The visitors were awarded their second penalty of the match, Wilcox received his marching orders for his second yellow card and substitute Andy Fowler beat Simpson from the spot.

The Blues were now hanging on to claim a point as Marine made the most of their extra man.

Fowler blasted over when a corner fell to him at the back post on 79 minutes and on 87 Matty Devine turned Stratford and then Sharry inside out before seeing his shot blocked by Simpson who had to recover quickly to block the follow-up header from Lee Parle on the line.

Frickley: Simpson, Amdal, Stratford, Picton, Wilcox, Villermann, Hornsey (Denton 74), Sharry, Moke, Hinsley, Osborne.