Finn try clinches Castleford win at Hull KR

Match clincher: Liam Finn.
Match clincher: Liam Finn.

Castleford Tigers boosted their hopes of finishing in the top eight after making another flying start on their way to winning 30-22 away at Hull KR.

For the second week running Daryl Powell’s men came flying out of the traps to open up a quick 18-0 lead.

Hull KR hit back to get within two points in the second half, but Liam Finn’s try six minutes from time clinched a deserved victory for the Tigers, who stay in sixth place in the Super League.

Castleford made the perfect start when Ben Roberts, surprisingly chosen to start at full-back, dashed over for the opening try just six minutes into the game.

Luke Gale goaled and was on target again soon after when winger Denny Solomona outjumped home full-back Ben Cockayne to a high ball to collect the ball and score a try to add to his four at Magic Weekend.

Oliver Holmes was next to charge over for the Tigers, completing a fine move began by a great Roberts run and with Gale converting it was 18-0 after just 14 minutes.

Rovers replied from their first real attack when Albert Kelly beat Roberts to collect Terry Campese’s kick and with Kieran Dixon goaling it was game on.

But Cas survived further pressure and making a few errors and when they next had decent field position scored off the back of it. Grant Millington’s offload started a move that would be taken on by Roberts and Michael Shenton before Gale finished for a try he converted to make the score 24-6.

Roberts came within a whisker of increasing the lead when held up over the line, but if the Tigers thought it was over they were to get a rude awakening as the hosts stormed back.

It was another kick that brought them their second try when Dixon outjumped Ashley Gibson to take Campese’s bomb and go over for a score that kept the game alive.

Rovers scored again as Kelly went over following a quick play-the-ball near the line and with Dixon converting there were only eight points in it.

Cas came close to increasing their advantage near the end of the half as they forced a drop-out and Andy Lynch was then held up over the line. They were awarded a penalty, but Gale’s kick hit the post and it remained 24-16 to half-time.

The second half was a lot tighter as both defences stepped up a gear. But the Tigers did go close when Gale was tackled inches short of the line and Gibson was bundled into touch near the corner as he went for the line.

It was Rovers who scored on 53 minutes as substitute hooker Aaron Ollett won the race to Kris Welham’s grubber kick on the last tackle and Dixon’s goal reduced their deficit to just two points.

The next score was going to be crucial and the hosts fashioned a chance with Campese regathering the ball from his kick through only to fire a pass aimed at winger Ken Sio into touch.

However, it was Cas who clinched victory when Millington burst through and stand-off Finn backed up to take the ball and jink his way over for a great try. Gale added the goal and the Tigers were now two scores in front late in the game.

Rovers could not hit back and it was Castleford celebrating a massive away win.

Scorers - Hull KR: Tries Kelly 2, Dixon, Ollett; goals Dixon 3. Castleford: Roberts, Solomona, Holmes, Gale, Finn; goals Gale 5.

Hull KR: Cockayne; Dixon, Welham, Salter, Sio; Campese, Kelly; Green, Boudebza, Puletua, Larroyer, Blair, McCarthy. Subs: Donaldson, Ollett, Cox, Greenwood.

Castleford: Roberts; Gibson, Webster, Shenton, Solomona; Finn, Gale; Lynch, Milner, Millington, O Holmes, McMeeken, Massey. Subs: Boyle, Moors, Tansey, Maher.

Half-time: 16-24.

Referee: Richard Silverwood.

Attendance: 7,093.