Fab four for Blues against Staveley

Frickley athletic new kit  New club badge
Frickley athletic new kit New club badge

SUPER sub Jack Watts got a hat-trick to help Frickley Athletic comfortably conquer Staveley MW at the Tech5 Stadium.

Watts, a replacement for the injured Ollie Ryan, broke the deadlock just before half time and added two more goals in the second half before Leon Henry wrapped up a productive night for the Blues.

A silence was observed before kick-off in memory of former club official Alan Newbound.

A corner in the 11th minute was only half cleared and Carl Jones lashed an angled 25-yard drive just wide as the Blues signalled their intentions early on.

The Blues suffered a blow with an injury to Ryan minutes later, Watts coming on as his replacement.

MW looked dangerous on the break and Lawrence Matthewman had to go full stretch to hold a 20-yard shot from Simon Barraclough in the 22nd minute.

Most of the action was in the other goalmouth and Ashley Longstaff and Lee Bennett both went close before the deadlock was broken in the 43rd minute.

Alex Callery put a free-kick out to James Ashmore on the right and his cross was flicked in by Watts from ten yards.

Staveley almost equalised two minutes later, Barraclough beating three defenders and firing towards goal where Ryan Damms tapped in but was ruled off-side.

Blues boss Peter Rinkcavage made three changes on the hour, bringing on Danny Walsh, Bradley Grayson and Leon Henry, and the Blues almost improved their lead four minutes later when Callery had a shot deflected into the net only for Watts to be ruled off-side.

A 25-yard volley from Walsh skimmed an upright in the 66th minute but there was no mistake five minutes later when Watts collected a ball on the right and produced a 40-yard lob which dropped over MW goalkeeper Adam Ledger and just under the bar.

Watts completed his hat-trick in the 76th minute, Grayson providing a pinpoint cross from the right and Watts found the net with a glancing header.

Teo Ringrose replaced Watts in the 81st minute as Frickley continued to press, and they were rewarded three minutes later, Grayson having a shot blocked but Henry netted the rebound.

Grayson made a superb run in stoppage time only to see his drive diverted off the line.

Frickley: Matthewson (Bradshaw 71), Smith (Fisher 71), Kay, Bennett (Walsh 60), Adams, Simpkins, Callery, Ashmore, Longstaff (Grayson 60), Ryan (Watts 14m, Ringrose 81), Jones (Henry 60).

Staveley: Ledger, Staley, Smith, Jones, Mazzola, Patterson, Foster, Tahac, Damms, Barraclough, Thornton, Fawcus, Fox, Jordan, Antony.

Referee: Mr L Watson.

See this week’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express for all the latest sports news from around the district.